• Register Today It's free!

'02 XLT ENGINE IS SEIZED- Help!

petertech

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
O.k. , I'm no novice under the hood , but I can't figure this one out. My engine is locked up and I cant explain why. Maybe some of you Ford guys out there can help me out with this. I didnt drive my truck for over two weeks. the next time I got in it, the starter would not turn the engine over. Battery was good, pulled the starter and bench tested it-good. So, I put a 30inch breaker bar to the crank pulley bolt and could not turn this engine over!, then I went to the flywheel teeth with my big prybar- still no budge at all. I pulled all 6 plugs, squirted each clylinder with PB Blaster ,let it sit. Next day - still no turn at all! I wish I had a tool to grab the crank pully and turn it CC. I dont want to turn it too hard (C) and snap the crank bolt off. Meanwhile , prior to this my truck ran great-smooth and quiet , '02 4.0L SOHC , Automatic,128k miles, changed my oil every 4-5K with Mobil1 only, coolant level is fine,did not overheat, Oil is clear(no peanut butter in the Jelly)..........
Next I drain the oil and pull the lower oil pan, I see a little whitish goo in the corner of the oil pan but I think that may be normal here in s. Fla(humidity). I havent pulled the main oil pan yet, It looks like a big job and I think the front cover has to be pulled first.
I have heard that these engines have problems with the timing chain,tensioner,and rails . I wondering if this could cause the engine to lock or is there something inside this electronic transmission that could lock the torque converter?
Does any body out there have any ideas about what is causing this "locked motor" or suggestions as to what I could check next? What could cause an otherwise healthy engine to freeze up after just sitting for 2 weeks?

thanks,

The new guy

Back