Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'03 dies while driving

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by cvincenttat, June 22, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cvincenttat

cvincenttat New Member

City, State:
      Republic, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer
      My '03 will die while driving. It doesn't happen all the time, but will start up right after. I have noticed corrosion around the battery cables. I cleaned them, but more seems to have formed. Would this be a cause or is it something else?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      >>>>>>>>
      >>>>>>

Did you disconnect the battery cables from the battery prior to cleaning them or did you just clean the outside edges of the battery cable/terminals while leaving them connected together? Make sure you also clean up the inside edges of the battery cables or the contact surface and also clean up the battery terminals themselves, then re-connect them and see what happens. Then buy a spray can of Battery Terminal Corrosion Protecant from an auto parts store and spray a little over the outside edges of the battery cables/terminals at the battery connection. Do this after you cleaned and reconnected everything up. This will help keep the corrosion from coming back.

4. cvincenttat

cvincenttat New Member

City, State:
      Republic, MO
      2003 Explorer
      Would this be the cause of it dying suddenly?

5. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orchard Park, N.Y.
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      >>>>>>>>>
      <<<<<<<<<

It could be if the connection to the battery is lost due to loose terminals or heavy corrosion. After cleaning up those battery terminals and tightening them up properly, have your battery and charging system (Alternator) checked at an auto parts store. They usually do this service for free and if you do need a new battery, they'll install it for free as well if you don't want to do it yourself. I always change my own battery because I want it done right the first time. You may have other issues going on there, but I was going off what you stated regarding the battery corrosion issue and dying suddenly. You have to start some where and this is the easiest thing to check first. A loose battery terminal could cause it to die suddenly as well. Check the ground/negative frame connection and the positive connection at the starter as well to make sure they didn't work themselves loose. If loose, don't over tighten the positive cable/starter connection, the starter solenoid fitting breaks easily.

Last edited: June 23, 2011