• Register Today It's free!

03 expo suspension questions

98Rig

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
recently i just did 4 new coil overs shock/springs in my truck, front left w/b and rr w/b, right rear diff seal, sway bar end links. so i thought i was ready for an alignment, went in today and they put it up on a rack and there is play in both front lower ball joints and inner tie rod ends, they qouted me 557 to replace those and do the alignment. so i deciced to reconsider the alignment for a future date. i see the lower ball joints and inner tie rods will cost me about 130 from parts stores. my question is, how difficult will it to be do the lower ball joints and inner tie rods myself? i have done all the work myself on this truck besides wheel bearings, had shop do those. i plan to change just ball joints not the whole arm as some of you have mentioned on other forums. what specality tools will i need for this and anything else you might want to add for tips or to look out for.

Just did the tie rod supports myself for the very first time, took me and a friend about 10 minutes. To replace the ball joints, you just need to have the power.

how difficult will it to be do the lower ball joints and inner tie rods myself? i have done all the work myself on this truck besides wheel bearings, had shop do those. i plan to change just ball joints not the whole arm as some of you have mentioned on other forums. what specality tools will i need for this and anything else you might want to add for tips or to look out for.

Tie rods both inner and outer are a piece of cake. Lower ball joints might be pressed out of stock control arms. I'm inclined to say they can be - check the upper ball joint removal thread stickied in the stock section, and give it a shot. Should only need a rental press kit or similar.

-Dubya

Back