03 lincoln aviator | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So contacted Donny at central valve body and having him build me a custom valve body.. costed me $277 shipped.not bad considering the shift kit and sonnax parts alone would cost close to that..plus i didnt have a way to bore the boost valve out and dont wanna risk rebuilding it and its bad.

Starters its getting a sleeve in the boost valve..then getting the sonnax 5r55WS-LB1 valve kit and every sonnax updated spring and vakves they offer including the Oring end plugs.next its getting the Transgo shift kit.lastly i asked for the thermal valve to be bypassed .

He didnt know they made a large ratio increased boost valve for it,he said normally they just use the stock sonnax valve.he also said they use a different thermal valve but if i dont live where it gets below freezing alot that bypassing it would be better.

Hes ordering the parts tomorrow and will get started as soon as they come in..

Also purchasing a brand new OE updated solenoid pack..if all this dont fix it ill be ordering a Level 10 kit with a performance TQ converter . .

I need to get this truck back on the road,my clutch is slipping in the ranger so i need to get to work on it soon

I used to work at a dealership, and the old italian guy in the paint booth told me "If it has **** or tires, it'll give you trouble!"

So contacted Donny at central valve body and having him build me a custom valve body..

Starters its getting a sleeve in the boost valve..then getting the sonnax 5r55WS-LB1 valve kit and every sonnax updated spring and vakves they offer including the Oring end plugs.next its getting the Transgo shift kit.lastly i asked for the thermal valve to be bypassed .

He didnt know they made a large ratio increased boost valve for it,he said normally they just use the stock sonnax valve.he also said they use a different thermal valve but if i dont live where it gets below freezing alot that bypassing it would be better.

Hes ordering the parts tomorrow and will get started as soon as they come in..

Also purchasing a brand new OE updated solenoid pack..if all this dont fix it ill be ordering a Level 10 kit with a performance TQ converter . .

I need to get this truck back on the road,my clutch is slipping in the ranger so i need to get to work on it soon

Sounds like a plan, I hope that fixes it.

I did something similar with my 91 Lincoln last year, but it didn't solve it. I installed an HD TransGo kit in the VB, with the Sonnax parts made for the AOD. The trans was shifting a bit too late, running up the rpm's in any gear before the shift. I was hoping it was in the VB, which it may still be. I got it done and the symptom is just slightly better, but I don't trust it enough to keep going with it until it does fail. So I haven't driven the car, I'm going to build a 4R70W for it and upgrade it then.

Fingers crossed for your 5R55W/S, I haven't even had a look at one of those yet.

Picked up a 75mm tb yesterday . .its for a 4.6 2v mustang but what i read it fits the aviators..the 4.6 2v mustang use the stock aviator 70mm tb but it steps down ALOT past the butterfly so they port and polish it..

This one is a true 75mm one from jegs,paid $65 for it.i may have to port the upper manifold some for it to match the TB now,i assume thats why the stock 70mm steps down so much.i should've looked when i had it off..probably gonna replace the plastic intake tube with a wrapped aluminum pipe to the maf and air box..im gonna leave the air box as i dont think its a restriction especially after the Swiss cheese mod and k&n filter

Also have a used Gibson cat back exhaust on the way,paid $160...think im gonna order the B&G springs for my birthday 11/11..

Im hoping this valve body and solenoids fix this transmission..im debating just pulling it and throwing the stage 10 kit in it now but really need to spend that money on my rangers motor,i know hes tired of having that motor laying around his shop..

Tb
20161031_121218_zpsd8abfcky.jpg

The 75mm is a good size for a NA engine like that, and how is it just $65? I've got a 75mm TB for my 347, and it was more than $200 I recall.

The 75mm is a good size for a NA engine like that, and how is it just $65? I've got a 75mm TB for my 347, and it was more than $200 I recall.
Ill have to measure the stock one before and after the butterfly when i take it off. I'll post some pictures. New they are only like $165ish..its the cheap Jegs brand. I got it off craigslist

That is a great deal, and the 75mm size is not too big. Many newer cars have 80mm and larger TB's on them, most smaller than the 4.6 liters. A 90mm can begin to be difficult to tune properly to get excellent throttle response. But for that DOHC it will be plug and play easy.

That is a great deal, and the 75mm size is not too big. Many newer cars have 80mm and larger TB's on them, most smaller than the 4.6 liters. A 90mm can begin to be difficult to tune properly to get excellent throttle response. But for that DOHC it will be plug and play easy.
Well hoping it fits and no porting will have to be done to the upper manifold . .this Tb is for the 4.6 2v motor.they dont list one for the 4.6 DOHC AVIATOR

If it bolts on like the 2V engine, it'll be great. It's good that you are keeping that one nearer to stock, versus big changes. I wanted to get an Aviator, but I would have been plotting on a blower kit for it, and the trans wouldn't be happy with that. I thought they would still keep making the mid sized Lincoln SUV, but they went to the car platform after a few years.

If it bolts on like the 2V engine, it'll be great. It's good that you are keeping that one nearer to stock, versus big changes. I wanted to get an Aviator, but I would have been plotting on a blower kit for it, and the trans wouldn't be happy with that. I thought they would still keep making the mid sized Lincoln SUV, but they went to the car platform after a few years.
The cost of getting all the parts for the cobra blower swap is outrageous . .cheaper to do a vortech or turbo kit.

Im looking at a mid mount turbo where the big cat is

That will make your inlet changes like the TB very good, pushing through instead of vacuuming in the air. I wanted to do that too, but the space to run the pipes to and from the engine bay wasn't there. I was considering caving in the passenger foot well to make room, but I though better of it. Fortunately too, the other 2nd gen guys have made great progress with their blowers up top. They're getting close, and I haven't begun.:(

That will make your inlet changes like the TB very good, pushing through instead of vacuuming in the air. I wanted to do that too, but the space to run the pipes to and from the engine bay wasn't there. I was considering caving in the passenger foot well to make room, but I though better of it. Fortunately too, the other 2nd gen guys have made great progress with their blowers up top. They're getting close, and I haven't begun.:(
My cat is on the driverside.there is a good amount of room and they also make oval tubing i may consider using . .long long ways away

That was the thread I had run across. Check out the TFS-1012 pan, that one is "only" $306 and has a dipstick. They have one without a dipstick for $175(TFS-1012-1), so watch the part number when you hunt them.
I broke down and bought this pan..i just didnt want to risk not filling it correct and the extra capacity is gonna help in the long run..

Also i didnt go with a OE updated pack,i took a risk on a rebuilt unit..they got really good reviews and they test/adjust them..pray it works long term!!

All my tranny parts should be here by Monday . next Saturday im going to try and throw them all in,would be a nice birthday (11/11) present if they all go in good and fix the issues ! !

If anyone is keeping track thats $993 im into this trans..CRAZY
$220 servos
$275 valve body
$195 solenoids
$303 deep pan

Link to pan

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-1012

Link to pack..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272094204669?redirect=mobile

Link to central valve bodies

http://www.centralvalvebodies.com

And link to servos..

http://www.fordservoboretransmissio...r,_Mountaineer,_Aviator,_Explorer_Sport).html

Looks like all the parts should be here tomorrow so might try to put them in if i have time.mannn i hope this fixes it!!

Crap just noticed the pan comes with a filter and gasket . ..the solenoid pack i bought, you could get just the pack or with gaskets/filter..i got the one with gasket/filter..could have saved $38,o well..chump change in grand scheme:help::frustrated:

I hope you get it all and can get it done. The time changes this Sunday, so we are about to lose another hour of daylight.

I like those parts, except the accumulators. Why are they $199, and what's the pricing for the stock versions? I'm used to an accumulator being maybe $20 or so each, those must be super special.

I hope you get it all and can get it done. The time changes this Sunday, so we are about to lose another hour of daylight.

I like those parts, except the accumulators. Why are they $199, and what's the pricing for the stock versions? I'm used to an accumulator being maybe $20 or so each, those must be super special.
Technically the rebuilt solenoids were $161,i paid a extra $38 for the filter and gasket which ended up coming with the pan so i didnt need them...

new OE solenoid packs can run upwards of $350+..

75mm will work had a bbk 75mm on my 02 4.6l but ended up swapping it for a 70mm with port and polished intake plenum. 75mm was over kill for my stock setup but should work perfect for yours. I got my plenum from a guy on eBay that will port to your specs for like $40 and that included the plenum. This was years ago but if you need I can try to search my eBay account. Also I got both bbks for less than $50 each but they were used not brand new. You have a good hookup if you got it brand new for $60

They factory new solenoids can be had for $250 if you look around. I've heard nothing but bad stories on the rebuilds as to my knowledge you can't rebuild solenoids but I don't know if that holds true. Cost doesn't seem too crazy especially since your putting power behind it. If I was ever to build my explorer the trans would be getting more attention than engine. Yes going fast is fun but you can't go fast if your wheels don't turn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

75mm will work had a bbk 75mm on my 02 4.6l but ended up swapping it for a 70mm with port and polished intake plenum. 75mm was over kill for my stock setup but should work perfect for yours. I got my plenum from a guy on eBay that will port to your specs for like $40 and that included the plenum. This was years ago but if you need I can try to search my eBay account. Also I got both bbks for less than $50 each but they were used not brand new. You have a good hookup if you got it brand new for $60
Im assuming your talking about a explorer 4.6 sohc motor..the Aviators are 32V DOHC and use a different everything than a explorer..the Aviators have stock 70mm tb..i did however stick the tb next to mine and it appears to have same bolt pattern and cable attachments..75mm is actually kind of small for the DOHC when compared to what the Mach 1 and Cobra uses..(same motor different intakes) but yes its brand new ;)

They factory new solenoids can be had for $250 if you look around. I've heard nothing but bad stories on the rebuilds as to my knowledge you can't rebuild solenoids but I don't know if that holds true. Cost doesn't seem too crazy especially since your putting power behind it. If I was ever to build my explorer the trans would be getting more attention than engine. Yes going fast is fun but you can't go fast if your wheels don't turn
Yea ive seen them around that price and i too have heard plenty of bad stories . .the ones i got i actually have heard no bad stories about or atleast what i found from who bought them..you can rebuild solenoids but the main issues is the bushings in them,they replace them and then calibrate them which i hope makes a small difference . .

Ill be honest though . .if i knew the deep pan came with a gasket and filter i would have bought a OE solenoid pack instead of the rebuilt ones..only thing that sold me on the rebuilt was the included filter/gasket, the fact they replace the bushings and they calibrate them..plus got good reviews . .take away the filter/gasket and i probably wouldn't have been sold...

But i agree the trans need alot of attention especially behind the DOHC,it makes what 305 hp stock,i plan to make around 500ish RWHP when its all done..

Back