03 lincoln aviator | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

Wow. Interesting finds. Looking forward to more!

Note with the under drive pulley kit, your ac wont be as good at idle and voltage will lower at idle.
Voltage should be same with the overdrive pulley on the alternator,its a 3 piece set.crank,water pump and alt. The ac shouldn't be that much of a difference especially considering the Aviators have a electric fan that also kicks on at idle..ive been reading up on it and everyone thats used them loved them and said they make a big difference so we shall see..

Dropping the heads off right now,ill let yall know what my guy says

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well dropped them off and talked to my guy..he takes one look at the heads and points to the right exhaust valve in #7 and says that valve is toast,then looks at #5 intake and says you can clearly see it hasnt been sealing right...then looks over the rest of head and says,man none of these look like they have been sealling 100%,said they have chatter marks all over the valve and seats.said its probably been like that since day one and then carbon builds up giving it that ""wrinkled/bumpy look""

He then says all the guides are definitely shot and the valves all look pretty toasty and suggest i replace them especially being they are 2 piece. .he thought he could bring them back to life but said at 150k and as bad as they look it would be best to get new ones..

He also said the seats all looked good but wouldnt know till he got it apart and started messing with it.he thinks they will be fine but i demanded he change out atleast the exhaust seats..

So i ordered a set from MMR ..hes starting to tear it down today and would call if he finds anything else..i know MMR doesnt have the best rep but thats mostly on the service,not parts..people say their parts are good and the valves arnt the best but for the cost they are good valves,no reported issues. .

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=4_9_20&products_id=48

Found the missing guide pieces in the bottom of the pan..also let me tell you how stupid i am..i pulled 2 long bolts that went all the way thro the passenger side of crossmember and 1 that went all the way thro on the driverside. .i fought and beat the hell outa that crossmember for 2.5 hours before i swung around to see a 4th bolt on the driverside that doesnt go all the way through like the other 3..pulled it out and the crossmember dropped right out,same with pan...

Also did my servos..pretty easy job but messed up one of the orings on the cap so need to find some new ones,why the kit didnt come with new ones for the caps is stupid! !...

Missing guide pieces. .
20160806_160836_zpsx0eudgea.jpg

Had to drill holes to get rings out..
20160806_141305_zpsu0fzqyuq.jpg

Stock and new servos with orings made into them..

20160806_135343_zps8yqsjfxj.jpg

Tranny servos are on my list a couple paydays from now.

Tranny servos are on my list a couple paydays from now.
It honestly wasnt a bad job..i was going to pull my ypipe since i had the heads off but after looking at it,it was best to leave it in..you really need the cats to use as leverage with the crowbar to push the caps in to get the rings out,also to push the new servos in..

I tried every tool i had to get the rings out before i drilled the holes..once holes were drilled i pushed the rings right up and pulled them out with a screwdriver. .shouldve done it in first place

Get new orings for the caps fyi

Startn to get things cleaned up..fixed my grille and painted some things..

IMG_20160807_142056_zps1v1liyip.jpg

Love this color..old ford blue,clear effects and clear..did my valve covers,alt and oil pan...

20160806_114944_zps5lhqetab.jpg

Got some other parts in yesterday also..much needed manuals and a 25% underdrive kit ;)

20160807_190321_zpsf6euhts3.jpg

Servos are done,pretty easy job..cleaned the pistons and block/deck..the pistons had to have 1/8" or more of carbon build up on them,they look brand new now..

Tomorrow going to get the oil pan back on and take apart the manifolds to clean.

Valves didnt come in today and no word from machinist, hopefully hes ordered the seats and guides by now,said he was doing that friday..

im ready to get this thing back together and driving.it should run like a new truck or should say better,considering none of the valves appeared to be sealing and ive added the underdrive ;)

Well called to check on valves and he said he just finished a batch of intake valves and my order was short so it did not ship friday. .he said he would ship 2 day today and have them Thursday. .come on!!

Also talked to my machinist and he said my other motor was done and hes double checking everything on it and getting a price together. .which means hes gonna want me to pay for both jobs before he lets anything go :(

I just found this thread, I am following for sure!
Love the engine in these trucks!
Great work you have done so far JD!

I just found this thread, I am following for sure!
Love the engine in these trucks!
Great work you have done so far JD!
Thanks..it honestly has been a pretty easy motor to work on.i haven't worked on a sohc or dohc before,its a whole different world for sure..i just hope i get it back together and it runs strong and long!! Lol

Sucks its had so many issues and i over payed for it and he knew the problems it had..id been fine with the issues if i paid about $1000 less..

Well went to compare the underdrive kit which was a 3 piece set and found some things out..first the key way is not machined right on the crank underdrive.it get smaller/narrower towards the rear..

20160810_144900_zps0wxfqypw.jpg

2nd the Aviators come with overdrive pulleys on the alternator and water pump.the ones in the kit are slightly larger which would slow my water pump and alternator down,they are however smaller than the mustang and ford normally uses. .ill be keeping my stock alt and water pump pulleys,WHICH means i ""MAY"" have voltage issues or cooling issues at idle..the Aviators have an electric fan so should help ac but not much if the volts are too low..we shall see how it performs. .

20160810_150015_zpsroqa7d39.jpg

20160810_150020_zps72wsimiw.jpg

Stacked ontop of each other

20160810_150039_zpsqugxxfjy.jpg

20160810_150052_zpsmqwtlzs4.jpg

They have next day me a new kit..also my valves are due in tomorrow morning according to tracking number..

Pulled my intake apart..its DIRTY..im kindof lost on how im gonna get it 100% clean,its coated in like molasses and trying to get the long runners clean is going to be next to impossible. .

Any suggestions? ?

20160810_164533_zpseh1rqurd.jpg

20160810_164539_zpsf6ceoqgm.jpg

Soo this was my quick over night solution. .hahaha tub full of dawn..going to drain some water out and add a gallon or 2 of the carb cleaner they sell at advance auto by the gallon.also anything else that might catch my eye wile im there..

Gonna soak it,spray it down with degreaser and then pressure wash it..hopefully it comes clean and hopefully soaking it loosen some of it up..haha

20160810_171351_zpsgmwmswje.jpg

dawn was a waste of time.. It doesn't touch the grease on my hands after working on cars. Just do lots of carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, just any general parts cleaner.

That is how most intakes on cars look actually thanks to the PCV.. Gross

dawn was a waste of time.. It doesn't touch the grease on my hands after working on cars. Just do lots of carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, just any general parts cleaner.

That is how most intakes on cars look actually thanks to the PCV.. Gross
Figured it was but that tub and dawn was sitting right next to truck so said why not

Deopped valves off,going to be Tuesday before the heads are done..

O and this is getting somewhere..its NASTY!! Coming pretty clean though and whats still on it comes right off.

20160811_141904_zpsrfvbpdey.jpg

Ugh, i hate seeing this kind of thing in personal garages because I always imagine you'll pour it down by the old tree out back. Anyways, keep up the posts and if you don't mind, maybe point out some areas that gave you trouble. I'll be doing this in September (hopefully!).

Ugh, i hate seeing this kind of thing in personal garages because I always imagine you'll pour it down by the old tree out back. Anyways, keep up the posts and if you don't mind, maybe point out some areas that gave you trouble. I'll be doing this in September (hopefully!).
I would never do that to old willy!! Id use the bush around side...hahaha jk..the place next door to me have a used oil container out back i use,dont think you spose to put water in it but ill let the oil refinery figure that out,the ""chemicals"" i used are biodegradable also..
20160811_141912_zpsc3ltscp1.jpg

Honestly it hasnt been a hard job at all..the radiator was the hardest part really.o and the very back head bolt on driverside wont come all the way out so you need to rubber band it up so you can slide the head off..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My mounty was originally the family/wifes car. We looked at an aviator first. Magnificent car, better looking, and better engine, but couldn't justify spending an extra $10k for it. She liked the mounty look over the explorer (I was opposite). Good luck OP, it looks great so far!

Back