Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

03' ST Manual 5 Speed 2WD to 4WD Conversion

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Cristian Velez, February 10, 2019 at 6:09 PM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Cristian Velez

Cristian Velez New Member

City, State:
      Arecibo, Puerto Rico
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Sport Trac
      Hey ya'll I just got a new 03' ST Manual 5 speed and I am currently laying out all my thoughts as to what mods I am gonna do to it. I first wanted to start by converting it to 4WD but I am faced with multiple questions that I am sure have been answered before, I just havent looked in the right places yet. This said is why I would like to as for anyone's input on this undertaking as I really dont know how it will work if it will at all... I was planning on getting all the parts straight from another ST that had 4wd or ranger with 4wd. I know for a fact I will need the entire front end/axle and my 2 driveshafts and hubs and the transfer case... If there's a list out there I would really be glad to look at it. Also, are the parts from an automatic 4wd ST or Ranger fit even if my ST is a manual?...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Paul Fithian

Paul Fithian Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Long Beach, IN
      2001 Sport Trac Job 1
      Put a Spartan or other “Lunch Box” locker in the rear axle. Way easier, more reliable, and less expensive.

You may find it provides all the traction upgrade you want. It’s all I need for snowy roads and towing. I have over 15,000 miles on a Spartan locker with zero issues.

4. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
      Your problem is going to be controlling the auto transmission. You would need a computer as well. Your best bet would be to find a sport doner around the same year and swap everything, but this is not going to be easy without a lot of parts.