Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

03 xlt 4.0 will turn over but will not crank

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by brycesanders, July 11, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. brycesanders

brycesanders New Member

City, State:
      Columbia,SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      "03 XLT
      I have an 03 xlt 4.0 that just died going down the road. Now it will turn over but wont crank and it will constantly backfire out the intake. Have been told everything from the timing chain to the mass airflow sensor. The haynes book says it could be either and I have mechanics that say it cant be. someone plse give me an idea. thank you

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. tower

tower Active Member

City, State:
      Millbury, MA
      03 Limited centennial
      Not starting and backfiring out the intake almost always means the timing is off so I would bet timing chain. I don't know how a MAF would cause that, hell I can remove mine and the truck still starts.

4. vipersinu2

vipersinu2 Active Member

City, State:
      The Big City of Orange City, Florida
      97-03 4.0 exp 07 mount v8
      open oil cap look down and crank engine see if cam shaft is spinning! Probally the left rear chain is shot down in flames!

Last edited: July 12, 2011