034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Next is the carnage and the tear down.

f3e72946.jpg

1b785086.jpg

11976098.jpg

8d5fa330.jpg

5e3cb633.jpg

37dd2a79.jpg

Now on to the plans.

For the front.
D44 from a 1981 Wagoneer.

be68533e.jpg

5.13 gears, full spool (cost and durability).
da5207ac.jpg

7d3350cb.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Yukon Chromoly shafts. (no pics)
CTMs.
Picture007.jpg

Parts Mike flat top knuckles w/ ball-joints.
Picture003.jpg

BTF High steer arms.
Picture004.jpg

BTF Diff cover.
Picture015.jpg

TT's Fabworks spring perches and u-bolts.
9f3373b6.jpg

Custom Alcan springs (be here in 2 more weeks).
Yota' IFS box from Foxfab off of pirate 4x4.
2353ce5a.jpg

Custom drag-link and tie-rod from Parts Mike (will order when springs get here).
Custom steering shaft (in process of getting quote).

Now for the rear.

I'm using a 99 sport-trac 31 spline 8.8 with discs.
I'm not going 9" because the 8.8 already has disc brakes, and I wanna keep my speedo for now.

Dutchman motorsports will be getting me my Superior shafts with custom 6x5.5 flange with wheel-studs.

Alcan, again, will be doing the springs, they will be in the 6-8" lift range depending on the height of the front, which will be determined when the front alcan springs get here and i can get it mounted onto the truck.

I used the factory waggy springs to get an idea of the height, pinion angle, and caster since i had to cut the knuckles. I know the shackle angle sucks, thats because the waggy springs are too long for my hanger seperation, hince my alcan springs.

e4236f2a.jpg

5623fe55.jpg

f3acab3c.jpg

58b98a79.jpg

In the mean-time while my springs are being made, I painted my crossmember and hangers and frame-rails.

84a7533b.jpg

That thing is going to look badass! :eek: :thumbsup:

Awesome rig man. This progress looks great. :thumbsup: I saw that you have a pic with the 2wd Mazda that's in Savannah. Do you live down near Savannah or in Acworth like it says below your username? I'm in Lawrenceville, GA, about an hour from Acworth. "Yomie" on the site has a second gen Explorer with 35s and d30 front (leaf springs), ox locker, etc. and he just moved to Acworth from MS. He went back to MS for a while, to help w/ clean up from the hurricane, but he's going to be coming back within the next month or so. When you get your stuff finished, Yomie gets back, and I get mine finished, we all definitely need to wheel together.

I'm building my D44 right now actually. It's going to be full width 77 Ford f150 and Ford 9" rear. Discs all around, 37s, locked f/r, etc. (My build-up thread is in my sig). Anyways, great looking truck and can't wait to see it in person! :D

Looks like you got a good build going. Truck looked good originally (no bumper and fiber fenders) I still want a pair of fiber fenders. But since mines not a daily driver anymore i would just crush them on a trail. But every time i see some i want em all over again. Truck looks good so far keep us updated. :thumbsup:

hurry up and get your steering box mounted so that i know how to do mine when i finish my sas in a couple months

Looks like a heller...one question though. Why a spool up front? Turning is going to alot more difficult especially on tight trails. Or are you going to get out and unlock a hub when you need the extra steering? Not dissing you just wondering :). I've considered a spool in mine as well. I'm actually in the process of doing an sas on my 93, pretty much just like bmxking's :D

Helluva project! That truck looked slick already, now it'll be mean as hell.

cant wait to see the turnout, wat size tires are you goin to run?

i think hes running 38's

This is awasome, going to follow updates. About the spool upfront?

All I can say is Beautiful, just friggin beautiful!! It almost brings a tear to my eye as I see the transformation :D

BigDakota said:
All I can say is Beautiful, just friggin beautiful!! :D

my thoughts exactly
very nice, cant wait to see how it turns out :thumbsup:

bmxking5 said:
Awesome rig man. This progress looks great. :thumbsup: I saw that you have a pic with the 2wd Mazda that's in Savannah. Do you live down near Savannah or in Acworth like it says below your username?

I used to live in acworth, but i recently moved into "powder springs", its a PS mailing adress but I live about 5 min from acworth still.

bmxking5 said:
I'm building my D44 right now actually. It's going to be full width 77 Ford f150 and Ford 9" rear. Discs all around, 37s, locked f/r, etc. (My build-up thread is in my sig). Anyways, great looking truck and can't wait to see it in person! :D

Ya I read through it the other night actually, its gonna be sweet. Thanks for the compliment, and yes, we'll all definately have to get together.

CodePoet said:
Looks like a heller...one question though. Why a spool up front? Turning is going to alot more difficult especially on tight trails. Or are you going to get out and unlock a hub when you need the extra steering?

I didn't want to use a lunchbox locker, although they are cheap. A full detroit is expensive, and selectable lockers $$ keeps going up. A spool is half the price of a lunchbox locker, and durable as hell. And yes, i'll probably leave a hub un-locked until i get to a difficult obstacle/portion of the trail. I am contemplating hydro-assist though.

redranger4.0 said:
i think hes running 38's

They are 38x12.50 r15 on 15x8 rock crawlers. I like pizza cutters. But they'll widen up when I get the weld-on beadlocks.

To mount the steering box, i'm going to box in the section of the frame with 1/2" steel and weld that to the frame, then run grade 8 bolts through the frame/box-in and steering box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back