034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jey im thinking of doing a build up just like yours, just on a 99 ranger,no bodylift and 36x12.50 tsl. what size leafs did you get?price?
also could you take a shot of your cross member? i need a good idea of were to mount it.

thanks man,and MERRY CHRIST MAS

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Truck sure looks good! If im ever up there i want a ride! I should go to GA this year to ride in BMXs SAS explorer, maybe i can talk Yomie into a ride, and you... LOL

Looks good and i like the height :thumbsup:

I got stuck trying to get in this shot...damn 2 wheel drive doesn't wheel for shiat.

8e4f9c42.jpg

326c5898.jpg

Front springs soft enough?

0f32c0dd.jpg

a66122bd.jpg

1ac37f52.jpg

9b406840.jpg

f846e965.jpg

78afb1e1.jpg

35a246a2.jpg

92d006ad.jpg

and on top of a 31" mt/r again lol.

c7ed1f49.jpg

a68fa688.jpg

5169f0a4.jpg

solidranger said:
jey im thinking of doing a build up just like yours, just on a 99 ranger,no bodylift and 36x12.50 tsl. what size leafs did you get?price?
also could you take a shot of your cross member? i need a good idea of were to mount it.

thanks man,and MERRY CHRIST MAS

Haven't touched the crossmember yet. Sorry man, still have to go buy torx bits to take the d-shaft off the stock front axle LOL.

The leafs are custom made alcan springs, 6-leaf, waggy load capacity, 7-5/8" rise, can't remember length. 190 a peice shipped.

Also, i've gotta take my fawking rear axle apart again. I have .006" of backlash, but i have a loud wine while coasting and a clunk going into gear...what the mother ####.

looks great 034x4.
glad to see it on all fours again
quick question
how much did your ram assist run?
how does it feel?
im thinking about putting one on my ex. and would like to know
what you think about it.

thanks

at pics

fap fap fap fap

nice lookin truck!

Fury, the assist, the ram was 180, it's a PSC 8" travel ram, got it from my local 4x4 shop. The hoses were about 40-50 i think. I like it, i finally got all the air bled out, and i ran out of fluid lol. I got some more today but haven't topped it off. So far its steering fine, but not at the capacity that it could be.

sweet jey, so your onto the tweaking level. have you gotten shock hoops yet?

and you only paid 180 for the hydro assist?! for some reason i thought it was more.

im ordering a couple of my trail readys in the next few days...

cant wait to see more action pics...

just curious on what engine your running?is it the 4.0 or 3.0?what kinda milage you getting turning those 38s?

TRUCKS A BEAST

Well as it sits there is hardly any weight in the back, since half of the bed is gone. So the front flexes before the rear.

When i get a chance, i'm headin up to my local 4by shop and flexin it on one of the racks, to really see what kind of travel i'm getting.

The rear springs are actually alot softer than the front, there is just no weight to compress them.

Gil - No hoops yet, work and christmas holiday's are preventing me from getting to mild2wild when they are open. I'm gonna use stock upper mounts in the rear and just throw some tabs onto the axle.

I have the 3.0. Dunno what mileage, i'll be filling up tomorrow, so whenever that tank runs out I can tell ya.

As for the horse crap, thats good old georgia clay mud, it was all in the backyard when I pulled it around.

trucks lookin ghey. shoulda lowered it and put it on some 16 inch giovannis with 35 series tires...

how is it turning with the front spool and hydro assist

He doesn't have a front driveshaft yet = still 2wd so he can't feel the spool. ;)

actually if he locked the hubs he could feel the spool...

Yes that is true

Back