034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, i hate welding underneath the truck. Gotta go get another brake hard-line tomorrow. God damnit.

f61dc1f4.jpg

aa0e6ba8.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got all the tabs welded on and painted. Got the hardline, bent it up and plumbed/bled it. Gave 2 of my tires to my friend reggie who will balance them tomorrow morning, then he'll get the other 2 in the afternoon when I get out of class so i'll finally have balanced tires. Then I just need to get f250 towers and front shocks and a front driveshaft and it'll be even more "driveable" (i'm purposefully avoiding using the word *done* since, in my eyes, it will never be *done*)

Getting a 2nd transfer case soon ( ;) ) maybe for a doubler? who knows. Gonna figure out and mount my winch this week/weekend. The following weekend the guys at the local 4wheelparts have an RTI ramp that they are so kindly going to pull out and let me flex up on.

Also if anyone has an extra clockspring laying around that they don't need, if you would please send it this way. My wheel was centered, but it was one revolution off lol so after I hooked up my steering and turned it for the first time...POP, no more airbag, cruise control, or horn until I replace it.

updates ?

JS91X said:
updates ?

Yeah i balanced 2 of his 38" TSL bias.....on took 25 oz. and the other took 3 oz.

thats about it!

But from what he says it drives much better with shocks and balanced rear tires :D

Yomie said:
Yeah i balanced 2 of his 38" TSL bias.....on took 25 oz. and the other took 3 oz.

Thats not bad for such large tires. Ive had to put 6+ oz. on one side of a wheel before because it was so bent. The jackass said forget it and to just throw the weight on it, instead of buying a new one or having me try and straighten it out.(steel wheel) Oh well.

Make sure you take pictures of the flexing on the ramp at 4wheelparts. :thumbsup:

Drove it ~70 mph to the dome last night for the superbowl of motorsports (monster truck show) and it drove fine. If I got above 70 the unbalanced front tires started shaking and made the front end feel reaaalllly light. A bunch of drunken people kept yelling hell ya at me.

Some moron in a Nissan Titan was pissed in a parking lot, and drove the passenger side of his truck off of a retaining wall, fawking up the whole rocker panel on that side, then when the back tire dropped off it bend up the fender about 3-4" and crumpled the bumper up into the tail-gate at a ~35* angle. haha.

Haven't really done much to the truck. When JasonB comes up he's bringin some much needed f250 towers. Then i'll get the front shocks measured/mounted. Then figure out my tranny x-member and get a driveshaft made. I won't be making the doubler for a while so i'm going to go ahead and get 4wd back.

Cool, what time did you get there? I got to chill up in one of the booths with a bunch of my friends. Did you see the white Avalanche on 20/38s, the burgundy 250 on 37s, the yellow TJ on 37s, or the black 250 on 40/22s at the beginning of the show (the ones that were down there on the floor before the show)? One of them is my boss, and the other three were friends of mine. *hopefully I can get them to let me bring my truck down there next year* :D

Damn! Naw I wish, I got there right as the 2 rangers and the bagged chevy were pulling out into the arena. I did see the International CXT that was parked in the same parking lot I was (immediately accross the street) that thing was HUGE.

are beadlocks street legal in ga ? how do they ride on the street with balanced tires ?

All beadlocks are illegal, except for two companies. I can't remember the name of the two companies though. The reason for them being illegal is that there are literally just bolts holding the tire on the wheel. I'm probably going to end up getting TrailReady's or Allied's eventually.

in that instance you are wrong bmxking. in colorado all beadlocks are LEGAL because there is no law stating that they are ILLEGAL. the laws may be different in georgia, but you need to clarify that as all beadlocks being illegal is false...

walker evans makes on of the DOT approved beadlocks...

supergildo said:
in that instance you are wrong bmxking. in colorado all beadlocks are LEGAL because there is no law stating that they are ILLEGAL. the laws may be different in georgia, but you need to clarify that as all beadlocks being illegal is false...

walker evans makes on of the DOT approved beadlocks...
Wow, I sure didn't know that....Guess you shouldn't believe everything you read on pirate ;) Thanks for letting me know...

What makes beadlocks "illegal" is the companies that make them buy the wheels without DOT stampings. Which in turn makes it illegal. Even if it has centering rings like my trail-readys, which had a huge sticker that said not for highway use.

But you can buy rock-crawlers, and weld on non-centering beadlock rings and that would still be "legal". It's a grey area, but for the most part, they are not "illegal", especially not in georgia, i don't think we have any laws in that nature that are enforced besides speeding lol.

O the trail-readys drive fine on the road. I'm probably going to run bb's in the tires since the rear-drivers calls for 23 ounces on the balancer. Then again I might swap the tire off of my spare with it.

bmxking5 said:
Wow, I sure didn't know that....Guess you shouldn't believe everything you read on pirate ;) Thanks for letting me know...

where specifically does it say that they are "ILLEGAL" on pirate. I bet if you find someone that says that they are from some stupid state like california (strict ass laws)

Don't remember who, but there is a guy on pirate that says if you can find documented evidence in ANY state that beadlocks are indeed, illegal, he will pay ~50$ i think.

btw.. clean out your PMs. :D

i cant remember asking but is your ranger a long bed or short bed ?

did you have to get 2 highsteer arms or just one from btf casue i only found 1 for a d44 (the passenger arm) from btf, and whered you get your knuckles? and whered you get the front spring pads ?

Back