04 explorer 4.0 2wd trans questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer 4.0 2wd trans questions

Reaction score
City, State
north texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
hello just want to say i love the way the site is set up!! it only took me 15mins of reading to learn how to change my fluid and that i probably need to change the solenoid block. but i would like to run a few things over with you guys just make sure im right.

the transmission(im not sure the model number) revs high in between shifts sometimes. after hard breaking or extended idling it will not engage instantly into drive or reverse. i hit the pedal it revs up and then slam's into gear, almost like neutral bombing it.

it has 116k on it and i had the dealer change the fluid at 90k even tho the manual said wait until 150k.

so does this seem right? should i change the solenoids or is it just varnish build up that is the problem?

where can i buy solenoids at a good price? is it a dealer only item? whats the going rate?

is it possible this transmission could benefit more from a top tier ATF like redline or royal purple or should i just stick to Merc V?

thanks very much for any insite

james

just one more thing from what i read you guys have CEL come on when the trans acts up? mine never comes on. only once when i needed a new EGR.

the more i read, the more questions i have lol
it looks like it could be a servo problem and might need sleeves? so if i pull the Solenoid block and it ohms out good where do i go from there?

never mind the local trans shop is going to rebuild it for 1700 installed with 1 year warranty and fixing the valvebody and servo problems.

thanks for the help

NOT

Back