• Register Today It's free!

04' Explorer noise - video

scooter3

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Lmtd 302A
I know this topic has been covered very extensively, but after almost $1500 in repairs the noise is still there. All timing belt tensioners have been replaced along with the serpentine belt tensioner and pulley. Sounds is definitely coming from the front of the engine. Noise is most noticeable at first start and cold, but after sitting for an hour it will come back. Truck runs fine. Thinking it could be water pump. Truck has 182,000 miles on the clock.

http://youtu.be/jOijGtqUVQY

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I just pulled the serpentine belt off and low and behold no noise. So it has to do with something on the front of the engine. Now I just have to figure out what.

I have had to replace a few Ford tensioners on some of my vehicles. Feel the bearings out on that and any idlers. Good to know its not the timing chain tensioners :)

My 04 sometimes makes a bit of noise right at startup but only for a second. Please keep us posted to what you find.

i'd lean towards water pump esp, with 180k on the clock. For me its usually the first thing to go. To be sure, with the belt off how does that water-pump pulley feel when turned by hand? Usually i got a noise with the belt off too, or it felt rough, or i found ply in the shaft. I'd check all the other pulleys too, A/C, PS.

I don't want to say not water pump but I just did one on moms 04... Very similar rattle that disappears without the belt...STILL THERE... I thought timing chain but it runs great with no belt lol
With hers I'm thinking idler pulley is worn out... Maybe not if you've done it...
Hers feels like it adds strain; won't idle as easy/smooth.....same feel there?

KEEP US POSTED IF YOU FIGURE IT OUT FOR FUTURE BENEFITS!

So I got the call from the dealership on the truck and they have informed me that after 20 hours of diagnosis that the input shaft is bad and that in turn is going to make the engine fail eventually. Sooner than later due to the mileage. They did say that they were at fault for replacing the parts that they thought was associated with the noise due to bad diagnosis. The tech should have never opened up the engine and did not follow policy in the matter. I do not understand how an input shaft can cause that kind of noise and how it can fail an engine. They said we can either dump the truck or spend another few grand putting in another motor. Truck has other small issues with it that may keep me from doing that and just pulling the trigger on a new one. So if anyone can explain how an input shaft can cause that kind of problem please chime in. By the way the noise gets worse when the truck is in gear, but goes away when it has been run for a while.

So I made a little visit to the dealership to see exactly what is wrong with the truck. Come to find out that they did not say anything about the input shaft, (misunderstood what they originally told me) but have explained to me that the noise is coming from the balance shaft and it may have caused other internal damage to the engine. So now they have replaced all these other parts and it is still not right. Funny thing is that I can't find anything about a balance shaft on this vehicle. All I could find was something about the balance shaft tensioner. So it will cost another $2200 to replace the balance shaft and they are not guaranteeing that will fix the issue.

Back