• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer stalls sometimes

Rfowlkes81

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
hey I just bought a 04 explorer and i'm new to this forum so any help on my issue would be greatly appreciated. so here's the deal, sometimes my truck dies while i'm stopped. i'll come to a red light and stop completly and my truck will stall. it doesn't sputter or give any sighns of problems. it just shuts off as if i turned it off. the service engine light has come on recently and i've not had a chance to see what codes are coming up. this happens about once every couple of weeks and sometimes when i start the truck it idles really rough like it is misfiring on a cylinder and the wrench light comes on. but when i turn the truck off and restart it the wrench light goes away and the truck runs fine. any help would be great. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it.
I was thinking that maybe the problem is with throttle position sensor or my MAF sensor. i have also been trying to keep a eye on if it stalls when i have my A\C on. it's just wierd the way it kills when i'm only stopped and the fact that the only way i know the truck died is because all my instrument cluster lights come on.

welcome to the forums! the best way to go is to figure out what codes your truck is giving you and come back and post them here so we have a better idea of what it could possibly be. good luck!

Search in here for the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve thread. They provide the engine with the proper amount of air it requires to stay at idling RPM. Which, is why it stalls out when you let off the gas and come to a stop. They tend to stick closed and suffocate the engine. When mine starts acting up it is almost as if my explorer has the hiccups. They are about $80 and very simple to replace. Just be sure to buy a Motorcraft part, they are picky.

My 05 had a stalling proble. It would stall a low speeds when the cruse control was on. It was still under warrenty at the time. The dealer reflashed the computer with a newer engine operating program and it has not happend since.

Your problem sounds like it needs either a new fuel filter or else new plugs and wires.

Back