04 Explorer XLT... Mechanical popping noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer XLT... Mechanical popping noise

Cody Adkins

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer xlt
I have noticed a popping noise coming from the rear as I accelerate, I can only hear it while accelerating slowly, and when I turn to the right coming from a stop or slowly accelerating... I have replaced the wheel bearing about a year ago, and i have replaced the passenger rear wheel bearing twice, I figured it was the cv joint but didn't know if it could be anything else... Thanks

Ok, I replaced my brakes and rotors all the way around cause the backside of rotors on the rear where grooved pretty bad, I also checked the universal joints, they seemed to be fine (no play and looked like they have been changed recently) i still have the noise and it is getting worse, I can hear it while I'm at a steady speed... Now when I accelerate or let off the gas it goes away... I've road in the passenger side and driver side I can only hear it from the driver side, its just a loud popping noise repeatedly, maybe CV im lost haha

Back