Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

04 harmonic balancer part # clarification dorman

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by xzbc511, July 19, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. xzbc511

xzbc511 New Member

Hello

I my 04 sport trac harmonic balancer is going bad. I was able to quickly find the problem thanks to all the great information on this website.

I have read a lot of these post on the subject but I could not find a definite answer for my question.

i called ford to get a new balancer and they quoted me close to $390 for it. And I know there are 2 different designs out now because of failures.

I know dorman makes a replacement part (cheaper). But they have 2 part numbers

594-236
      or

594-111

it appears the part number 564-236 was superceded by the using a ebay part supercedence app (i know i know). what is it superceded by?

does anyone have any experience with this, should I buy the -111?

If i missed a post that clarifies all this just post me a link and I am sorry.

Thanks for you help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver,NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
      Dorman application only lists 594-236 for the 04, and it does specifically for the Sport Trac. They show the 594-111 for 90-03 applications.

4. xzbc511

xzbc511 New Member

Just an update for future reference. I got a quote from ford to replace place the harmonic balancer and they quoted me $500. A local shop quoted the same price. When I ask about the pricing they quoted me $350 dollars for parts. Apparently in Canada the balancer is really expensive and appears to be in limited quantity.

So, I found a shop that will let me bring in my own parts and just charge me labour.

cost break down:
      I bought the Dorman #594-236 balancer off ebay and it is the correct part number= $110

I bought the bolt from ford (it has to be replace as its a torque-yield bolt)=$12.75

Labor at x 1.5 hrs=$130

Total = around $260

Note: apparently there might be a washer (i didnt do it myself so I cannot comfirm) but i ask ford and they said you can reuse the old one. plus the washer is discontinued so you cannot buy a new one.

Replacing the harmonic balancer fixed all my vibration problems. I doesn't even feel like its running now, i don't think its ever been this smooth.

They way I confirm that it was broken with feeling inside the balancer and noticing the inner ring had movement.

Thanks for you help.