• Register Today It's free!

'04 Mountaineer Front end noise

mctruck

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Springs, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Mounty
I've had front end noise in my mounty for going on 2 years. Started around 80k, have 120k now. Sounded like hubs so I replaced them at about 90k but the noise didn't go away, only sounded different and occured at higher speed (60+mph). Now it's getting so bad I can feel vibrations through the floor and steering wheel with the exact "pitch" as the noise which has turned from a humming (at 80K) to a growling with the vibration. I'm thinking it might be the CV joints because it sounds a lot like an old VW Rabbit I had back in the day, that and the noise will change when the suspension is compressed or decompressed hitting dips in the highway. Also, no change when turning the wheel slightly to the left or right so, for now, I'm ruling out the hubs. Any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had it in the shop today and they said the front end noise was from the struts being bad. Now, I know they were squeaking but I can't imagine that would account for the growling at 60mph. Anyone?

Update. Rear bearings changed and mysteriously the noise from the front end is gone completely. All I hear now at highway speeds is the sweet hum of the motor and a little road noise from the tires. Those bearings must have been WAY worse than I thought to make the front end sound bad.

good to hear. what did they charge for the replacement? i have an 06 expedition the needs new rear bearings.

it wasn't cheap, a little over $300 per side.

Back