Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

05 Aviator- "AWD LOCKED".... help :(

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by RKelly2233, July 9, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RKelly2233

RKelly2233 Active Member

City, State:
      Rochester, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 XLT 4-Door Sport
      my aviator seems to be more and more of a gift wrapped pos... I've had my 03 x for 4 years and had less problems than the avi... What happened; drove 20 miles and set cruise at 60- all of a sudden tons of lights come on. "see owners manual" comes up and the "AWD LOCKED" stays on. Pull over and turn it off. Goes away for a min. I get goin again and it comes back- i hit the reset button by the shifter and it all clears. A couple miles late the "AWD Locked" light flashes 8 times and goes off for about 2 miles or so- maybe 2 minutes. Flahes 8 more times, then goes away. Did it the whole way home (40 miles). Dont know what it could be at all... Hoping its not something big... I do need a front left wheel bearing I think or some suspension work over there as I can hear a rubbing noise. Also... the TPMS is constantly on and will read dangerously low tire pressure even when they're perfect... help! I love everything about this truck- except for my maintaince. Im already regretting buying it... :(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      Sounds like you have a bad tpms sensor and bad wheel bearing. Usually the awd locked problem is related to transfercase concern but wheel bearing issues can affect transfer case operation.