06 Eddie Bauer - Electrical & brake issues - From Hell in a hand basket! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Eddie Bauer - Electrical & brake issues - From Hell in a hand basket!

sedanscrambler

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonburg, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Good morning everyone. Finally decided to join the forum after many hours of research and frustration. A little history behind my Explorer, I work for a Chrysler dealership up here in northwest Ohio and purchased my 06 Explorer Eddie Bauer from taking it in on trade back in January of 2016. I have a 2015 Chrysler 200S that is really horrible in the snow and wanted something safer and with 4x4. Currently sitting at 221k miles, I am REALLY starting to regret my decision on buying. I expected some issues with it having 212k, being in an abused condition, and for only $2,800 - I was going to have to put some work into her. I love Explorers - heck my mom turned me on to them back in 07 when she leased one, but this one has given me way more run for my wallet then even my 95 Mercury Sable did with 250k (Rest in peace you beautiful blue sedan). I have had the battery, spark plugs, wires, radiator, a/c lines, all brakes pads, rotors, tie rods, alternator, tires, radio, steering wheel, and a few other things replaced to bring her back to life. The previous owner did not respect her as one should a very large investment and I enjoy reviving things back to their former glory so hence my current status.

Okay now the issues..

Yesterday while driving on the highway, about 75MPH, the abs light and traction control light came on and went right off. Continuously turns on and off and blinks then goes away then comes back, etc. I've read many articles on here and think I have it summed up to either needing a Hub Bearing assembly or maybe just the abs ring - or 4. The driver AND passenger airbag light pop on and at this point the entire dash is offering me a rave dance party with lights flickering every which way. I have always noticed a low "rumble" sound when accelerating and at high speeds it is apparent. When taking off slowly I can hear a "thud thud thud thud". I was told by the tech at work that it will make the rumbling sound because of 1)being a 4x4 SUTruck and 2)being an SUTruck with 212k on her.

A few months ago while turning on the dome lights with the dimmer switch (to make sure i didn't spill any taco bell quesadilla sauce on my shirt), the speedo lights went dim and the interior lights all turned off. The power windows, locks, dash lights (except for the speedometer), and puddle lamps - all out. I've tried reading as much as I could before tackling the issue and haven't narrowed this down to a for-sure yet. Thinking either the dimmer switch or the fuses (don't think it would be the fuse if the click on and off a million times during a 10 minute drive). I do hear a click every time they come on and go out though.

CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM - I replaced the alternator myself about 8 months ago when I took the vehicle to Advance Auto Parts and the guy told me it was shot. I always had issues with the car not wanting to start if it sat longer then 3 days (1.5 in the winter) if it doesn't run. -- I had a remote start installed and it never starts on the first try, it attempts, it fails, and it tries to start again and FINALLY at the second or third attempt it will start--. The vehicle doesn't start right up, there is hesitation but eventually fires up. I was hoping the new alternator would fix the issue but no such luck. While driving yesterday - the CCS warning came on and my red screen with the battery popped on.

Since I have moved, I don't have the proper space nor tools to perform and check the vehicle myself which has really put a damper on situations. I loved being able to take pride in knowing I could fix even the smallest things such as brakes on my cars. My biggest concern is that after all this time and money spent, this may be the straw that brakes the camels back. If anything electrical wise is an issue, I'm thinking of hauling her to the junkyard and letting them have her. I have read A LOT of threads here and through google about these symptoms. I'm really hoping that maybe a few people can shine some light on what they've experienced and if it is worth the hassle and possibly some solutions. I love my Explorer, even more then my 200S, & it really brings down your spirits when stuff like this happens. I enjoy lurking up behind little Kia Rio's and that mid RPM engine sound that sounds like they're about to eat anything in its way. She may not be fast with the V6 - but she sure can move her fat ass when I need her to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. With regards to the abs and traction control lights activating, here is something you can easily check. The early 4th gen had issues where the rear abs tone rings would crack. Inspect closely with a flash light. Replacement rings were "beefed up".
Have you had in scanned for any stored codes?

Mismatched tires (one worn more than other three, different size circumfrence, etc) will contribute to the problems you're seeing. Have you checked them?

Very hot or very cold weather will make a battery start to act up if it's close to the end of life. Also, you may have a bad connection to the alternator or the alternator itself could be bad. Not unheard of. This will cause the disc effect on the warning lights.

You're giving up WAY too soon! :)

^ All good points, but the op does say that he has replaced the battery and alternator.

Time to pull out the dvom and get to work.

^ All good points, but the op does say that he has replaced the battery and alternator.

Time to pull out the dvom and get to work.
You're fight Bill. Rereading it, looks like tires have also been replaced. Assuming they match and are new.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Sorry for the delay in getting back, just got to work a little bit ago and going to have a buddy of mine take a look for me while I'm on the job. The tires, brake pads, rotors, alternator, are all things that have been replaced within the last...7-8 months. He is going to look into the tone rings for me but he had also told me something along the lines of it may just be the ABS sensor going bad because the vehicle doesn't jolt to a stop or have braking issues right now. I'm not sure, either way it has me concerned regardless that I'm afraid to drive it. I did take the truck to Advance Auto Parts and the guy couldn't pull any codes because the light was not on. He hooked up the reader and wasn't getting anywhere ( I thought he'd be able to pull SOMETHING) but no luck.

The car was completely dead today, I had just driven it 2 days ago! It still had some power, doors unlocked and access. mode worked, but no crank at all - thank god for my Stanley JumpIt - it fired right up. The trip into work the traction control light was on the entire time and as soon as i pulled out of McDonald's with my breakfast- my window wouldn't roll up! The windows, power locks, lights, - everything was dead again and about 15 seconds later I was able to roll the window up. For the hell of it on Sunday, I went to a local pick a part and got a dimmer switch **just for giggles** to see if it would help and it hasn't. And every time this happens, i can hear the clicking sound which I checked the proper fuse and it's fine. Is there a relay that is under the hood that could be the culprit? I have searched for wiring diagrams or the factory manual and I'm not having any luck or it is pretty expensive to get.

I've checked the ground points and the battery terminals for corrosion and they all look okay (minus some small debris i cleaned off with a small bristle brush).

I usually don't give up so easily, this just has me at my wits end! I had my 08 Taurus for so long and didn't have to work on that sucker at all, I'm a little rusty when talking about issues and repairs, I've been in a battle with if it's worth investing into with 221k miles. I'm staying confident though that it wont cost me too much as I don't have the space or tools anymore to tackle myself! Positive thoughts, positive thoughts.... whew! Thanks everyone for responding, I appreciate it!

Just to confirm, you have a new battery, correct?

Correct, the battery was just purchased in February!

ABS and/or Traction control lights can be triggered by a wiring short. I would thick that such wiring short could possibly drain your battery.

The trick is in tracing it down.

My abs and traction was doing that to me few years ago. I cleared the codes and then grabbed the abs wires going to the hubs in the front one at the a time, and when I wiggled the driver side one, it set off the code. It was broken inside, could not tell since it looked intact.

Auto store guy was probably using a code reader. You need to have it scanned with a proper tool that can read abs, airbag as well as engine/emission codes. There will be stored codes that can point you in the right direction.

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay in response! Reaching the end of the month at work has been keeping me occupied most of my day. My buddy took a look at it while I was working and it turns out that it was the flippin alternator throwing everything off! The ABS light, the airbag light, the electrical issues,I never would have guessed seeing as it was just replaced and then he day I had went to the parts store and the lady checked for codes, I had her do a test for the battery and alternator and everything was fine. It turns out the alternator was pretty much just working when it wanted and and when it didn't! The strangest thing, I had my buddy test it to a couple times through the day and would you believe that 1 out of 4 times the alternator read perfectly fine. The other times is was ready at just below 12 volts which was shocking to me. To work fine the times I had it tested, that's just the luck of it all! The battery is fine and he took that POS alternator out for me and we ordered one from Ford. I was actually shocked, ordering the atlernator from Ford only ran me $9 more than what I paid for the refurbished Carquest one. Right now I am in a battle with Advance to get the money back and somehow cover the new core on them as they obviously no longer have my core.

From all the research and things I was putting together in my head and it came down the last thing I would have thought! Goes to show how perplexing these things can be! Thank You everyone for your input and advice - it is greatly appreciated & it is awesome to be a part of a forum to share experiences and get insight on all different kinds of things. Thanks everyone!

Back