06 explorer brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 explorer brakes

Puros

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer
HI, I'm new to the forum and have a question about brakes on the 06 explorer. Not happy with OEM, so I tried drilled and slotted rotors and a supposedly good pad (hi-permormance). Less than satisfied. Tried regular rotors from Advance Auto, less than satisfied. Need new front pads now. AND HELP.. Does anyone have a good recommendation for front pads that stop well, without having to stiff leg the brake pedal. I drive fast, love the way my wife's Mini stops. I would like to approximate that with my Explorer. I love this truck, but it does not have good stopping characteristics. Normal driving, some trailing, but mostly freeway driving. Thanks for the help. Puros,:usa::salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drive fast, love the way my wife's Mini stops. I would like to approximate that with my Explorer.
Easy answer. Buy another Mini or CAR that's slightly more than half the curb weight of your Ex. :scratch:

I'd recommend the semi-metallic pads and rotors. When you do the brake job make sure that everything's lubricated as it should be such as caliper pins so they do not seize up; that may help the pedal to be a little more forgiving.

We carry brake pad and rotor kits for your Ford Explorer with FREE SHIPPING in the lower 48 states.Here's a link to them on our website. Ford Explorer Brake Pad and Rotor kits

Slotted and drilled rotors are not really worth the money unless you find yourself taking it to the track a lot. Even then, drilled rotors are very prone to cracking after a lot of heat cycles.

I believe people like using the EBC green pads? I actually just installed all new brakes on my Explorer and used the basic rotors for front and rear. I used Duralast CMAX Gold for the front and basic Duralast for the rear. What I am going to do now is bleed the brakes because they have always had a "spongy" feeling and I feel I have to provide more brake force than necessary. Hopefully that will cure my issue I am having and something you should try as well after changing your brakes.

Sounds like you are basically driving around with no power brakes, you may have a bad brake booster.

I'd pop by a brake shop and have them test it.

Back