07 Mountainer turn signal relay/flasher location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 Mountainer turn signal relay/flasher location

mischden

Reaction score
City, State
New Franken, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury Moutaineer
I am trying to find out where this is located. Does anyone have an idea or diagram. I searched the web and got responses like its under the steering wheel. I looked up there and found a relay but its not for the turn signals. Manual said there are four relays (near the fuse block) but doesn't say where. I did see something behind the block and up inside but I really hope that isn't it. I really don't wanna start pulling the fuse block apart. I would like to replace it with a LED friendly flasher and not have to use the load resistors.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The flashers on Explorers and Mountaineers are controlled by a computer module called the Smart Junction Box (SJB). While it is configurable for daylight driving lights and tire pressure monitoring, etc I don't think it is configurable to accept a low resistance LED replacing a regular bulb. The flash rate is 80 per minute that doubles to 160 per minute if one flasher bulb is not working.

The SJB is quite expensive and comes new with DTC's. A Ford dealer or equivalent needs to extract the programming from the SJB before it is removed and uploaded to the new SJB once it is installed and the DTCs cleared. So playing with the SJB hardware or software is not encouraged by Ford.

The SJB is located under the driver's side dash above the parking brake controls. It has 5 connectors attached to it for all the functions it controls. It appears to have 3 bolts that secure it.

Good luck with the LEDs.

@Town:

In how far is the SJB configurable for tire pressure monitoring?
And how can this be done?
I use a second set of wheels that don't have TPMS-Sensors and would like to turn the tire pressure warning off.

@Town:

I use a second set of wheels that don't have TPM-Sensors and would like to turn the tire pressure warning off.

Hi Lukas,

I have checked the SJB configuration and there is no switch/option for de-activating the TPMS. Since the SJB can be configured by your dealer, it may be possible to opt out of the feature. This would entail either a SJB re-flash to eliminate the TPMS or more likely reload the SJB from Ford Module Library and select "NO" for TPMS option.

In my experience with reloading a module, a knowledgeable dealer will tell you if deleting the TPMS is an option for the SJB and will not charge for that info. The procedure (if possible) usually carries a $ cost of an hour of labour and no parts. The procedure involves connecting the Ford "scanner" to the Data Link Connector in your vehicle and accessing the SJB and the Ford Library and initiating a download. At the start of the download the available options are presented and the tech selects or rejects each one.

Good luck.

Thank you for that info.
I think, it could be that switching off the TPMS-Sensors is forbidden by law.
Maybe easier buying an additional set of sensors. ;)

I think you are right, if you have TPMS you cannot disable it legally.

My car was built in April 2007 and does not have TPMS. In Canada the TPMS requirement did not come into effect until 1 September 2007. But I think in the US there was a gradual introducion from October 2005 at 20% and by 2008 a 100% requirement for TPMS.

@Town:

I use a second set of wheels that don't have TPMS-Sensors and would like to turn the tire pressure warning off.

tpms cannot be turned off. buy some sensors and put them in the 2nd set of wheels. when you switch wheels just program the new sensors to the vehicle.

The flashers on Explorers and Mountaineers are controlled by a computer module called the Smart Junction Box (SJB). While it is configurable for daylight driving lights and tire pressure monitoring, etc I don't think it is configurable to accept a low resistance LED replacing a regular bulb. The flash rate is 80 per minute that doubles to 160 per minute if one flasher bulb is not working.

The SJB is quite expensive and comes new with DTC's. A Ford dealer or equivalent needs to extract the programming from the SJB before it is removed and uploaded to the new SJB once it is installed and the DTCs cleared. So playing with the SJB hardware or software is not encouraged by Ford.

The SJB is located under the driver's side dash above the parking brake controls. It has 5 connectors attached to it for all the functions it controls. It appears to have 3 bolts that secure it.

Good luck with the LEDs.

I guess I'm confused then because right on Fords parts list it show the relay(13350) and multiple auto parts stores have it listed...

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?v=4M2EU48837UJ02000#Search

I guess I'm confused then because right on Fords parts list it show the relay(13350) and multiple auto parts stores have it listed...

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?v=4M2EU48837UJ02000#Search

The part 13350 (Motorcraft SF 631) is a signal lamp flasher and some places list it for sale for 1995 thru 2010 Explorers. So I can see why you are confused.

The 2007 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop manual descriptions and wiring diagrams say that the directional signals are controlled by the SJB. There are 5 wiring connections to the SJB and there does not appear to be anything like that flasher attached to the SJB or included in the wiring diagrams.

You may want to contact one of these suppliers to determine the location of the part. A Ford dealer may be able to find the part and its location and give you a printout of where it fits. I use that service and it works well because the parts are individually identified so no guesswork required.

I do not think those types of flashers have been in use for a very long time, so I will be interested in your findings. Good luck.

Back