08 floor heat distribution cold feet (foot) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 floor heat distribution cold feet (foot)

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
What is with the floor heater air distribution in these vehicles ?!?!

My 08 Ltd HVAC system works fine. Blend door actuator is good, it puts out adequate heat.

My issue is the distribution of the floor air output. I am speaking mostly from the driver's perspective as I have not spent much time in the passenger seat. My wife does complain about the same thing when she is in the passenger seat.

As I said above heat is adequate, the amount of air output is adequate, but when driving with the heat directed to the floor, my right foot gets way too hot, while the left one is freezing cold. The air distribution from the floor outputs sucks. I usually try and use cruise control, then move my right foot away from the accelerator pedal, so at least SOME of the heated air has a chance to get to my left foot.

I was hoping that someone here has a mod/fix that would solve this issue. I thought of perhaps a small hose or similar somehow attached to the heater output (or part of it) channeling some air over to the left side somehow. Or perhaps a baffle or deflector of some sort.

I do have the adjustable pedals, but the issue remains regardless of pedal position.

My friend had 1994 and had the same issue. Has Ford done NOTHING about this in the last 20 years? Maybe it's just me.

Any suggestions appreciated. Tnx.

The floor output on the drivers side is fixed and dumps right on/near your right foot, which is almost always on the gas pedal, so one foot is going to be warm while the other is much cooler (you mentioned most of this in your message). Plus there is a major electrical pass through on the firewall on the left side that can cause more of a draft on the left side if it has been tampered with. Ford and most manufacturers utilize the same style of setup for floor venting on their large vehicles (ie. trucks) however most sedans dump higher up near your shins so the temperature difference is not noticeable.
To answer your question, I am sure that you can find/make some sort of diverter that you can put on the end of the floor dump to put the air where you want it to go but I have seen no posts on wanting to do this before here.

My Sport Trac has the same thing and my 2010 F350 as well. I would think it's a matter of mounting a simple diverter to redirect the airflow. After the trucks warm up I generally just flip the system to go through upper and lower vents. Mostly do this in the Super Duty because the cab is as big as an entire Escape with vents only in the front.

I bet you could find a small piece of plastic and mount it in the air duct similar to a throttle body so you get air on both sides of the footwell.

I just tell myself that I'd rather have my right foot thawed out so I can use both pedals and go with it haha.

Back