• Register Today It's free!

1/2 ton??

n.gardner

Reaction score
City, State
Bel Air, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
So i was reading about my 2002 xls today, and i read it has a 1080 lbs payload, seeing how 1000 lbs is 1/2 a ton, does that make our trucks half ton trucks ???
just wondering, wont make much of a difference but will make me a little happier on the inside. lol :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the F-150 is "1/2 ton", the F-250 is "3/4 ton" and the F-350 is "1 ton". The Ranger/Explorer is generally regarded as a "1/4" ton vehicle.

alright, thanks man

Yeah, I thought that the "1 ton", "1/2 ton" etc referred to the max tongue weight; so that my 2002 XLT can handle 500lb tongue-weight (1/4 ton), and an F350 can handle 1 ton tongue weight.

Regardless, I've put 21 bags of concrete in the back that weighted 80lbs a piece. You do the math:D

She rode SMOOOOOOOOOTH!!!!

0423002058.jpg

Stock height for comparison-
100_1798.jpg

Is it just a suspension rating? Down here the ranger can be bought in a 1 tonne (2200 lbs) config. for farmer's. Just wondering.

Regardless, I've put 21 bags of concrete in the back that weighted 80lbs a piece. You do the math:D

She rode SMOOOOOOOOOTH!!!!

I did the math: 1680LBS. Go for it!! :cool:

ton-age has nothin to do with tongue weight, payload, maximum pulling capacity, or anything else.

it's more-or-less an arbitrary number based on how strong the springs are, how big the brakes are, and how heavy duty the axles and stuff are.

max tow capacity, payload, etc, varies greatly from one truck to another even between trucks in the same weight class

Thank's for that Rhauf:thumbsup:

ton-age has nothin to do with tongue weight, payload, maximum pulling capacity, or anything else.

it's more-or-less an arbitrary number based on how strong the springs are, how big the brakes are, and how heavy duty the axles and stuff are.

max tow capacity, payload, etc, varies greatly from one truck to another even between trucks in the same weight class

so what is the tonage measurement of our 3rd gens?

FWIW, My first car was a 54 Willys CJ3, the dash info plate called it a 1/4 ton vehicle...

according to ( KBB ) and ( NADA ) our X's are considered 1/2 Ton SUV's...

just looked it up...

link...

according to ( KBB ) and ( NADA ) our X's are considered 1/2 Ton SUV's...

just looked it up...

Lol i dont need a source, i like the response.

Back