1 rear tire chunks missing: is it my powertrax noslip? ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1 rear tire chunks missing: is it my powertrax noslip? ideas?

Bored_2wd

Reaction score
City, State
Westmont, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger
I just noticed that my left rear tire (325x60xR15 BFG all Terrrains w/60,000+ miles on them) is missing chunks of tread. This was not the case a month ago, I check the tires frequently for stones/nails/etc. I have enough tread on them to probably make it through the winter before I have to get new ones, at least until I saw this.
By the way, I'd had them siped at the beginning.
My concern is that its only one tire showing this. I'm concerned that it's caused by the rear powertrax noslip I've got in the axle. by the way, my truck is a Ranger with an Explorer disc braked 31 spline rear axle. No real problems with it, but recently I've been aware of more squealing from the drivers side wheel. I'm not sure if it's because the tire is coming apart or if the tire is coming apart because the noslip is acting up and not releasing properly. Has anyone run into this? I've had the noslip in for 2 years now, never had a problem with the tires. Could this be soley due to just the age of the tire? I've gotten 60,000 miles out of these tires so I can't complain, but I really can't affort the $600 bucks for new tires right now, and would be horrified to find a new tire chunking due to the problem not being the tire but being the noslip acting up instead. I'm going to jack up the truck this weekend , to see if the noslip is releasing smoothly, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to notice it if it's just kinda bad.
--Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a '92 with a detroit and yes you get little chunks missing from the tires.. We started to see it when we got down to abotu 50% tread. We also had the tires siped (it really helps on the rocks).. This is our 2nd set of tires since the locker on the explorer and I've had 3 sets on the van (also has a locker).. I'd say it is normal since all of our vehicles get it.. (siping makes it happen a little more.. but not much)

I rotate teh tires often so no 1 tire gets too bad, but it is normal becuase when you turn a corner (under load) the tires have to slip against the ground. If you change your driving habits (hard to do) so your don't stay on the gas when you are making sharp turns (like a u-turn, in a parking lot etc) you can minimize the amount of tire slipage you make and you should help reduce the amount of chunking you get.

~Mark

What does siped mean?

Originally posted by rvitek
What does siped mean?

Slicing across the raised tread pattern with a razor.

Umm.. yea.. that is siped if you want to do it yourself.. That'll take forever..

I take it to discount tire and for $10 a tire they sipe them.. It cuts the tread blocks into smaller pieces and allows them to move around.. It lets the grip rocks better and run cooler.. the drawback is the tires get noisier as they get older (worse than if you didn't sipe the tires) and if you run with a locker you can chunk the tires faster. If you didn't have a locker you wouldn't chunk the tires (or would have very little chunking)

Here is a picture of a siped Mud Terrain tire
Dead Link Removed

~Mark

I just ordered new tires. I got the same kind, 325x60xr15 BFG all-terrains. I went through 4wp wholesalers Nick Bomar, and he gave me a really good deal: $650 4 tires delivered including tax and shipping. Couldn't find anything near that price anywhere else.

Back