1000 Mile Engine Break-In: How Critical? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1000 Mile Engine Break-In: How Critical?

edge929

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
So the owner's manual states to vary the RPMs for the first 1000 miles. This is pretty standard for nearly ALL new vehicles (and motorcycles). Varying the RPMs is achieved easily with in-town driving but 1000 miles is a lot for me to rack up in town seeing how I live 4 miles from work. I was looking to plan a 1.5 hour (one way) road trip soon and this will be all highway/interstate.

So my question is, just how important is this 1000 mile break-in/varying the RPMs? I plan on keeping my Explorer for 10+ years so I want to do it right, no matter how inconvenient it is now.

I remember having to do this with all 3 new motorcycles I've bought in the past. Driving them home was a pain as I would slow down on the interstate/highway to 45 for a couple minutes, then speed up to 55, 65, 75 and repeat. Never had a problem with any of them and I racked up 40K miles on one (all crotch rockets).

If anyone with more knowledge than myself cares to explain the engineering behind this I would love to know (ie for gaskets to seal correctly? work out any remaining machined metal floating in the oil?, etc).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a huge believer in a manufacturer's engine break-in procedures. I will also do an early oil change at the 1,000 mile mark.

I own a few sports cars (Porsches) and the engine break in procedure is for about 2,100 miles and kept below 4,500 RPM's. It's hard to be disciplined (but I do it) in a high performance car. It will be easy in the Explorer. Plus, I have over a 400 mile trip to bring the new Limited home next week!

I was always told it was for hardening parts and seating the piston rings.

I have to believe a new car will break in much faster. Tolerances are tighter than they used to be. I would personally play it safe. The varying speeds and not kicking the throttle down are an easy thing to do. Might suck on the trip, but I say do it.

I agree with the "play it safe" simply because if you follow the recommended break in procedure, you will never feel like second guessing yourself for not doing it- if anything goes wrong. There is nothing worse than a constant "should I have done this" rolling through your head.

I remember having to do this with all 3 new motorcycles I've bought in the past. Driving them home was a pain as I would slow down on the interstate/highway to 45 for a couple minutes, then speed up to 55, 65, 75 and repeat. Never had a problem with any of them and I racked up 40K miles on one (all crotch rockets).

Letting off the gas after being at a steady engine speed helps bring oil to the top of the cylinders. If you accelerate to 65, and back down to 55, it will accomplish that. We just went through this with my wife's new car. We just didn't use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles. On long stretches we would let off the gas for a few seconds then accelerate back up to speed. I don't think you need to do much more than that.

So the owner's manual states to vary the RPMs for the first 1000 miles. This is pretty standard for nearly ALL new vehicles (and motorcycles). Varying the RPMs is achieved easily with in-town driving but 1000 miles is a lot for me to rack up in town seeing how I live 4 miles from work. I was looking to plan a 1.5 hour (one way) road trip soon and this will be all highway/interstate.

So my question is, just how important is this 1000 mile break-in/varying the RPMs? I plan on keeping my Explorer for 10+ years so I want to do it right, no matter how inconvenient it is now.

If anyone with more knowledge than myself cares to explain the engineering behind this I would love to know (ie for gaskets to seal correctly? work out any remaining machined metal floating in the oil?, etc).

How bout taking the back roads at least part of the time? Relax, see the countryside of IA, (or not). What ever happened to the official rec for an early oil change? My new cars in the 60's/70's specified this some car brands even specified a different weight "break in" oil. Many of us still believe in the early oil change as per posts here.

How bout taking the back roads at least part of the time? Relax, see the countryside of IA, (or not). What ever happened to the official rec for an early oil change? My new cars in the 60's/70's specified and some brands even specified a different weight "break in" oil. Many of us still believe in the early oil change as per posts here.

Look honey, more corn! Look over there, there is corn, and snow! :D

I do the first oil change about 1200 miles. I have only owned a few new cars, but it's CHEAP insurance. Hell, I did it on my 08 and it's a lease I knew I wasn't keeping.

Letting off the gas after being at a steady engine speed helps bring oil to the top of the cylinders. If you accelerate to 65, and back down to 55, it will accomplish that. We just went through this with my wife's new car. We just didn't use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles. On long stretches we would let off the gas for a few seconds then accelerate back up to speed. I don't think you need to do much more than that.

Good info, thanks for that. I will do this for peace of mind when I take my trip.

Yeah, not much to see in Iowa. It's pretty flat and mostly all farmland, born and raised here.

What Kind of Engine "Break-in" Is Necessary?

Someone on another thread recently wrote:

<<I've also got a road trip coming soon that I'd love to use this car for, but I understand the engine has to be broken in first. >>

It got me to wondering...exactly what kind of "break-in period" is really required of engines these days, specifically the one they're putting into the new Explorer? Is it a bad thing to get it and immediately take it on a 300-mile trip, mostly on the freeway?

Varying speeds for the first 1000 miles.

from the owners manual;

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a
trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
usage.

How to break in the new explorer

Since this will be my first new car I was wonder what the best way would be to go about breaking in the new vehicle. Any suggestions? Thx

I was told to drive variably for the first 1000 miles. Normal driving would be fine...but don't set the cruise on 65 for 3 hours at a crack.

Well, here is what the owner's manual says (page 6)...

Explorer Owner's Manual said:
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since these additives may prevent piston ring seating.

Thank you for the message! Will do!

regular oil or synthetic? does it matter while trying to break in the vehicle? high octane vs low? any answers?

I would advise any new Explorer owner to set down for a couple of hours and read the vehicle manuals.It will give you all the answers to your basic operation.You will have more questions about MFT and SYNC later.

regular oil or synthetic? does it matter while trying to break in the vehicle? high octane vs low? any answers?

As far as gas goes...

Explorer Owner's Manual said:
Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

The oil question was discussed in a couple of threads, and everyone has their opinion. The manual states that you are good either way and use the oil monitor that comes in your truck to determine oil change intervals.

And yes, the manuals do have a wealth of information. You can download them. You don't even have to have your Ex yet.

Speed restrictions

My new Explorer should be in this week. Is there a speed that Ford recommends you stay under while breaking in the new engine? and if so, for how many miles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The key is to vary your speed for the first several hundred miles.

Back