'11 Explorer Revealed!! | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'11 Explorer Revealed!!

The fact that all of Ford's SEMA concepts are lowered street versions just proves its lack of offroad worthiness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fact that all of Ford's SEMA concepts are lowered street versions just proves its lack of offroad worthiness.

Yeah, it's pretty dang sad. All those wheels are way too big, too.

I like it - IF it gets the "real" V6 EcoBoost engine. IMO, the current one (I-4) won't do the trick on an SUV that heavy..:(

The I4 maynot be that bad considering the power ratings, but ya never know til ya take'er for a test drive.

The turbo I4 has more horsepower than the cologne V6, and it probably weighs less than the cologne 6

The turbo I4 has more horsepower than the cologne V6, and it probably weighs less than the cologne 6

i would think it would weigh about the same you have a twin turbo and plumbing for it.

also inter cooler and more stuff. all together the engine and turbo stuff should be about the same weight as a 6 cyl engine.

i would think it would weigh about the same you have a twin turbo and plumbing for it.

also inter cooler and more stuff. all together the engine and turbo stuff should be about the same weight as a 6 cyl engine.

Its a one turbo on the 4 cyl. The new blocks are aluminum, last ones were cast iron.
You have your belief and I have mine, I respect your opinion, and I'm not saying you're wrong. And there's really no way for me to prove I'm right or wrong

Also on the 4wd models the transfer case is most likely combined in the transmission. :(

I would think it weighs a good bit less.

i stand corrected, ty sir.

but the 4 cyl has a balance shaft! lol

i wonder if its going to have the same crappy tcase as the edge.
god that designer should be shot.

but since i dont have shop manuals for them yet, i cant look up weight.

dressed and addons i would say the weight difference is very minimal if any.

I don't recall ever hearing anything about this, but the comment about the transfer case reminded me. Will this thing still have a 4-lo?

I don't recall ever hearing anything about this, but the comment about the transfer case reminded me. Will this thing still have a 4-lo?

Its a full time sensing four wheel drive system. The terrain management system is just transmission shifting. Here's the TMS from ford:
The available, class-exclusive Terrain Management System allows you to easily shift on the fly into one of four settings to match the terrain you’re driving in: • Normal – biases torque to the front wheels and sends it to the rear only as needed • Mud/Ruts – switches the throttle to a more aggressive mode, limits upshifting and desensitizes stability control allowing the tires to spin as needed • Sand – the throttle throws maximum torque to the wheels, placing the transmission in lower gears for as long as possible, which allows the wheels to spin aggressively • Grass/Gravel/Snow – places the throttle in a setting to minimize wheel slip

*Class is three-row Midsize SUVs vs. 2010/2011 competitors.

The eco 6 would have been nice.

Its like ford using the 3.5 in the taurus vs the 3.7, the 3.7 would have had it on par with pretty much everything in its class. They spent so much money to create a slug as if its the taurus's destinty to die a thousand deaths.

Btw, the taurus can go fast but you'll have to spend $37,000 at the very least to do so.

The I4 maynot be that bad considering the power ratings, but ya never know til ya take'er for a test drive.

True - but here are 2 additional "obstacles" potential owners will be facing when considering the I4:

- 4WD not available on the I4
- Trailer Tow Package not available on the I4

I think it's safe to say that these features are considered important to many buyers of such an SUV.

True - but here are 2 additional "obstacles" potential owners will be facing when considering the I4:

I think it's safe to say that these features are considered important to many buyers of such an SUV.

You either take fuel efficiency or capability. I think FWD for this explorer is horrible! I'm not sure if this is the best thing for the explorer.

The eco 6 would have been nice.

Its like ford using the 3.5 in the taurus vs the 3.7, the 3.7 would have had it on par with pretty much everything in its class. They spent so much money to create a slug as if its the taurus's destinty to die a thousand deaths.

I can't follow that logic either and I'm hoping Ford is going to fix that "error" ASAP.:rolleyes:

You either take fuel efficiency or capability. I think FWD for this explorer is horrible! I'm not sure if this is the best thing for the explorer.

I thought SUVs were made for capability...:(

Many people won't even consider this type of vehicle without 4WD - especially in the north. Same applies to the missing Tow Package. Many current Explorer-owners simply need it.

The V6 EcoBoost is THE perfect engine for that SUV. Capability AND fuel efficiency. In our days, either/or doesn't sell any more. And we are talking about an engine that is already available, so what they did is a mystery to me.

I thought SUVs were made for capability...:(

Many people won't even consider this type of vehicle without 4WD - especially in the north. Same applies to the missing Tow Package. Many current Explorer-owners simply need it.

The V6 EcoBoost is THE perfect engine for that SUV. Capability AND fuel efficiency. In our days, either/or doesn't sell any more. And we are talking about an engine that is already available, so what they did is a mystery to me.

I agree with everything you have said. I think the explorer could have looked better, and kept the "explorery" look. Offered the new 5.0L, and 3.7L, then the optional I-4.

Yeah, those features are important to some owners. Look on this board there are several 2wd explorers, not everyone wants the 4wd or towing function just a DD so I still think if the power is descent with it then its still going to appeal to a group of people. Also with it being a FWD it may not appeal to people to buy it with towing in mind. It's all merely my opinion that I see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back