171 and 174. ...stupified on this one. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

171 and 174. ...stupified on this one.

droolmonkey

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport
so ive rebuilt the top end 3 times and itg hasnt fixed anything, but i know its not the gaskets or seals! it had a loss of power and a rough idle for about 2 years, and now it wont start for more than a bout a second and a half.

it has loss of power, 171 and 174 codes (thats lean bank left and right), jumpy idle, wont start and stay on anymore, and drinks gas like its only .99 a gal.

i know i have to replace the fuel pump now becasue i dont hear it, but whats with the previous loss of power and drinking gas?? any thoughts? could the fuel pump cause all of that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Common problems when having both of these codes are:

A) Not the o2 sensors

1) Probably Vacuum leak
2) Clean/replace the MAF
3) EGR tube leak
4) Plugs and wires

OR 5) Intake manifold gaskets..

Two things can cause 171 and 174. Too much air or not enough gas. You have pretty much ruled out vacuum leaks and you suspect your fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure or change your pump and filter.

Ed

Some more details would be helpful like which motor?

right.. 97 ohv 4.0.

just changed the fuel pump today, filter as well

i rebuilt the top end 3 times, vacuum is fine. ...the pump smoothed out the roughness, and the codes have not come back but there is still loss of power. im going to replace the maf in the next few weeks, and check out the egr as well.

how do i check for an egr leak?

since I just fixed a similar issue...
check the vaccum line between the egr and the pcv, take particular note at the egr. there is a rubber elbow that over time goes away simple fix if that is the issue

Isn't the 170 ish codes the DPFE ? The little sensor where the 2 vacuum lines go. Mine was replaced and it shaved 1200 points off my NOX output. I replaced my EGR and other bits and it was a waste of time, my DPFE was bad all alone. I could be wrong, it's been a while but worth a shot since the part takes 5 minutes to change and can be found at wreckers for $5 or in store for $40

Isn't the 170 ish codes the DPFE ? The little sensor where the 2 vacuum lines go. Mine was replaced and it shaved 1200 points off my NOX output. I replaced my EGR and other bits and it was a waste of time, my DPFE was bad all alone. I could be wrong, it's been a while but worth a shot since the part takes 5 minutes to change and can be found at wreckers for $5 or in store for $40

171 and 174 are lean bank 1 and lean bank 2.

question. ..if i take the vacuum off the egr valve, what should the engine do? ...it didnt do anything upon removal of the vacuum line from egr

Drool,

It won't do much of anything. If you don't have a hand vacuum pump, take a piece of hose and connect it to the egr valve. Suck on the hose( I don't like to do this). If your egr is good the motor should almost stall out.

Ed

Back