• Register Today It's free!

18 Sport Menu gremlins

vbubba47

Reaction score
City, State
Jax. Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Purchased an 18 Explorer Sport last Thursday and am having some left dash menu gremlins.
When I go into S drive and use the Paddle Shifters the Tach shows as I expected. However, when I return to Drive, the Tach remains until I use the menus to reset the Gauges submenu. Anybody else having that happen?
Old 14 Sport changed when shifted from S to D....

Looking at the Manual, it shows only 2 displays. A type 1 and a type 3 which I believe is only in the Platinum. The type 1 display shows what seems to be a permanent tachometer, much like the speedometer. I'm familiar with the 'pop-up' or selectable tach as that is what I had in my 2011 Limited. The one in my 2011 required me to reset it using the sub menu. Unless some one with a 2018 Sport has a tach that operates differently than yours, I think it might be premature to call it a 'gremlin'. It might just be the way it is designed.

Peter

OP, though I have a 2016 Edge, but it acts the same as your 2018 Explorer. A friend's 2013 Explorer acted just like your 2014 where it would remember your last menu display & once you shift back to "D" the menu will revert back to last displayed screen.

My guess is it is the new instrument cluster is just cheaper than the old ones. Even the odometer now does not animate when the miles are increasing, the old one had an animation that mimicked a rolling odometer, now the digits only change.

The theme of new cluster not being as good as the old one continues with how the whole menu system works, now you always have to go back left to go to different sub-menus. For example, from Round Tachometer to Trip 1 requires you press left, then down then right, previously you only had to press down once.

Example: going from Round Tachometer to Trip 1 then to Instant Fuel & back to Round Tachometer:
New Cluster: Press left, down, right you get to Trip 1. Then left, down, right you get to Instant Fuel. Finally, left, up, up, right to get back to Round Tachometer. Total 9 presses.
Old Cluster: Press down and your in Trip 1, press down again and your in Instant Fuel. Press up twice and your back to the Round Tachometer. Total: 4 presses.

Back