• Register Today It's free!

1990 Ranger 2.9L 5spd manual?

TM89

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4x4
I don't know much about this generation. I've got an opportunity to buy an excellently maintained 90 ranger with a 2.9 v6 and a 5 speed manual trans. It's also 4x4. Are these engines, transmissions good or garbage? Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2.9 is a good solid engine, the predecessor of the 4.0. Only negative I ever heard on it is that it will warp heads if overheated.
Trans is most likely a Mitsubishi FM146, which I don’t know much about. But, manuals seems to be much more solidly built than autos in Ford trucks. A M5R1 could easily be swapped in, also. It also wouldn’t surprise me if it actually had an M5R1 in it, those appeared in the 91 Ranger, and Ford is famous for being ‘flexible’ with start and stop f various components.
I’d give the truck serious consideration.

I'll post the link. It's got 61xxx miles on it somehows and it's only $3000. I've been following it for a couple weeks and it hasn't sold. Perhaps because not many want an old truck.

As long as it's reliable and it can do some minor hauling/overlanding, it'll work just fine.

1990 only has a 6 place odometer so that 61,000 miles could be 361,000 for all you know. $3000 is a high price for a 90 Ranger! I would hope to find it in dang near perfect condition for that amount of $$$. Is it push button 4x4 or manual shift (probably manual shift with the stick)
the 2.9L has a few issues, it uses a TFI ignition module mounted on the back of the distributor, they can be probematic. the early 5 speeds were geared more like a car trans and the 2.9L is a rev happy engine making its torque higher up in the RPM band (more like a car engine then a truck)
I would shop around, for around $3000 you should be able to find a 4.0L 5 speed ranger with the 93+ up cab, these have more elbow room a Dana 35 front axle and the better suited for a truck pushrod 4.0 with a better tougher 5 speed the mazda m5od

I actually checked the Carfax, it's 161xxx. But it is in great shape with manual gearbox and hubs. I was told to look for the 3.0 or ohv 4.0 motors with a manual

3 grand seems real high to me. I would get it if it were 2 grand, but I don’t know prices in your area.
Truck is in Seattle, your info says you’re in Texas? Guess you can’t just drive by and check it out?

4.0 is the best engine, IMO. I personally wouldn’t consider a 3.0. I’d rather have a 4 cyl than 3.0.

I just PCSd up here from Texas. I might just hild out for an OHV motor. I had an explorer with the SOHC motor and got told it was a ticking time bomb because of the timing chain issue. It's gotta be reliable.

reliable for $3000:

4.0L ohv pushrod with 5 speed and manual t case Ranger, 1993+ are some of the most reliable vehicles built, period.
I like the 95-97 trucks the best, you should be able to find one of these in your price range

I spotted a few, well maintained ones in those years, a bit more than $3000 but I can try talking them down. Since I'm not gonna want to have to replace or rebuild any transmissions or engines anytime soon, what's a safe mileage to go with? I'm thinking no more than 140k ish

I have 350,000+ on my 93, the only engine/ transmission work in the 24 years I’ve owned it has been intake and valve cover gaskets and a clutch.

What engine and trans do you have RangerX?

$3K from a dealer lot is why the price, reading the fine print, there is a Documentary Service Fee that will be added to the final purchase amount but it's cheaper with less miles than anything I've seen on craigslist in phoenix at the same age. I got 250,000 miles from the 2.9L in my 87 ranger, my 89 merkur scorpio 2.9L isn't far behind. My dad got 380,000 from his 86 2.9L ranger. I've had about the same luck with the 4.0L as the 2.9L, buying anything used will be a crap shoot.

Ohv? I can't find anything decent with that setup for under $7k out here. Cheaper to grab a low mileage f150. For some reason everyone thinks their rangers are with gold it something. Damn near Tacoma money.

Most of the cheap rangers on craigslist in Seattle need either a clutch, transmission or head gaskets. $500 for an 88 ranger GT caught my eye.

PATIENCE
I picked up a 96 4x4 4.0L ranger for $600 needed brakes a clutch, battery, rear window and detailing
I picked up a 97 Ranger 4.0L 5 speed 4x4 for $350 pretty rough but only needed battery terminals to get it running well enough to drive around.
I am also in a hot market where good clean used Rangers are worth Toyota money. Rangers are trucks and trucks are used for work so people pay good money for Rangers

I am very impressed with Bills 93 ranger, he does not exactly "BABY" that rig......

the 2.8 was decent, the 2.9 was good the 4.0L OHV is better then both of them combined, especially after 93 when the heads were updated and then again in 1995.......

If I could settle for a 3.0 or 2.9 manual of save some money but from what I'm hearing that's not the way to go if a have a choice. It'll be my daily driver so I can't buy one that's gonna need too much frequent work. Maybe that's why people think they're worth gold.

Absolutely! It’s the only 4.0 worth considering. Used in Rangers up thru 2000, I believe.

I picked up my spare truck for $200, a 95 with 4.0 5 speed 4x4. Needed (and still needs) a transmission, windshield, battery and brakes, but it was drivable and has just 96,000 actual miles on it! (Tiny island means low mileage vehicles)

You ought to at least go look at that 1990, if the market there is that tight,and if that truck has been sitting there a while. Offer them 1500, and maybe get it for 2k...
Or hold out for a 4.0 if you’re in no rush.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can also bolt a 4.0L OHV in place of the 2.9L without much work (if you can change an engine or clutch you can probably convert a 2.9L to a 4.0)
In 1990 the 2.9L had a mass air flow sensor making the conversion even easier........
Also as stated above the 2.9L can last a good long time as long as it never ever gets hot.......any excessive heat (bad fan, water pump, lean condition) and the head gaskets will fail.
When I go look at a used truck with a 4.0L in it, the first thing I do is flashlight all around the heads, look at where the heads meet the engine block, any green seepage? You can spot external head gasket leaks right away.
I looked at craigslist in Spokane Washington yesterday, the closest major market to me. There are SEVERAL 4.0 pushrod rangers around here for under $3000....3 or 4ea 98+ trucks too
4.0 pushrod (ohv) with M5OD manual trans and you will be happy.
2.9 or 3.0 not as happy
Craiglist drives the market in most places around the USA, you can see what Rangers are going for in your area and use that to your advantage when shopping......if I like the first truck I see but the guy does not want to move on price I will mention the other two rangers I am going to see today and as soon as you start to leave there is another chance to re negotiate the price......

Back