1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer Solid Axle Swap Leaf Spring

91 Explorer Solid Axle Swap

Hello everyone. This is a White 91 Explorer. Solid axle came out of an 89 jeep wrangler. Front leafs are new but from a jeep. The rear lift was made by using high arched "soft ride" leafs, and flipping over the axle. There are not any blocks! The front has 12 inch Fox shocks and resevoirs (though resevoirs are not in pictures, i am getting them installed this week. Iwill get new pictures as soon as that is done.)
The Truck Has 37" Super Swampers SSR's on it right now but i will be putting 38" Tires on it when these wear out.
I still have to measure it next to another but i believe the total suspension lift is about 15 inches plus the tire difference.
The frame is 29" off the ground. Truck runs great and Rides excellent. If you have any questions just ask.
Hopefully I'll see some of you on the trails.
I am in San Diego.
Oh yeah to see the photos just click on my photo gallery under my name. Late!

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any flex shots from the front end?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sorry, it took me so long to get back to you. The front springs are jeep springs. They have 7 leaves to the pack. I am not sure which springs they are but i believe they are National. They ride excellent. Nice and smooth.
The steering components are stock '89 jeep wrangler steering, with the exception of the actual steering bar which has been bent upward to meet the pitman arm. The drag link bar was custom also. It was bent to match the steering arm so they are in-line and it looks cleaner. Let me know which kind of measurements you wanted and ill measure it for you.

As far as the flex shots, im workin on that. I'll have to post some flex pics soon. Sorry guys.

OH YEAH... and one more thing i am installing a 3" body lift on monday to make more room for the 302 cobra motor that is going in it some time soon. And to make room for 38.5"X 14" Super swampers. Ill post pics as soon as it is done.

Thanks for your interest... Tim.

Tim,
Did you ever get the front geared and a driveshaft going to it? Are you still running stock axle shafts/u-joints?

I just have concerns about 38.5x14s on a stock D30. That axle was never intended for that much rubber. That axle with stock shafts was never meant for more than 33s.

Robb

I have always had the driveshaft for the front. The only thing was i needed to gear it. The answer is no, unfortunately, i have not geared to front yet so i cant use my four wheel drive yet. Sucks too. But im looking for a good deal on the ring and pinion and im trying to get it done as soon as possible.
As far as the rubber, well we will see.the 37's that are on there now are doing fine. Anyway, when it breaks i'll swap in a dana 44.the hard part is already done.
-Tim
OH yeah and i posted a buch of new pics in the forum listed in my sig. Check them out.

Not to sound like an @ss, but if you don't have your gears in and have not used 4x4, then of course you will not break your D30 with 37s. You will start breaking stuff when it's in 4x4. My good wheelin buddy was breaking shafts with 32s on a locked D30 with the I6 in his cherokee.
I'm only posting to try to help you save your money. A 44 will require all new gears, locker and wheels plus you have a different bolt pattern, so you need to do something different in the rear (new shafts or spacers) to make it work. The 30 is a good way to get the solid axle in there, but is no stronger than the stock axle, and has no hubs meaning you break it-you fix it there or risk binding the yoke, breaking ball joints and losing a tire on the trail. This is true if you snap the ring or pinion as well.
It does Look good though, curious to see flex shots too.

Dannyboy has some good points. I would be very leary with 37s. To the defense fo the D30, I have seen them work very well with 35s and the Warn Axles. Driving skill and habits weigh a huge factor in all of it. Glad to see the bearings holding up with 37s. With that high of gearing, there isn't much torque applied to the twisting of the axle so wouldn't expect to breakage very soon. Can't imagine the tranny holding up very long though. I'm still looking at D30 options myself for two reasons. I just got my rear disc brake setup. I haven't verified that I could drill out the explorer rotors for the 5x5.5 axles just yet. And also $$$ for the D44. I just got done building a killer D44 ( Warn axles, OX locker and Ujoints, 4.56 gears, and everything else new) for my father-in-law. It turned out very nice but my $ than I have at this time. I'm very displeased with the closeness of the bearings of the D35. The D30 is smaller but at least the bearings are spread a little more to take some load. I just got done completely rebuilding my D35 from tire to tire. Everything is new. I did this just before I built the D44 so now I'm pissed at myself. Dannyboy is right, did it the first time. Will save you some money.

I have used my 4X4, but only in mud and snow. Your right though. I am going to swap to a fire breathing 44 up front when i get some more cash though. Then a Dana 60 in the rear. For now this will do. I am in the process of installing a three inch body lift right now for more clearence, and i am working on the ring and pinion so i can go to truckhaven over the first and second with functional 4X4. Then i can test it out and see how well the dana 30 holds up. hope to see some of you there. I wish i could go to AZ but it wouldnt be any fun in 2 wheel drive.

Dead Link Removed

3" Body lift is Finally done. Check it out using the link.
-Tim

Last edited:

Dead Link Removed

Finally, off-road pics and flex shots!! Tierra Del Sol 2003

Dead Link Removed

302 And T-5 manual tranny conversion in progress!!

i saw your car and i thought " i want to have your children" and then i saw the pics of the resevuors and i almost passed out. you car is the best of all of the exploreres i have EVER seen keep up the fabulous work and email me if you ever get any new pics. :thumbsup:

nice 92,
Thank you very much. That is very flattering as well as funny:) Heh, a chick who knows trucks;)

New pics are coming soon. I have been cleaning up the new motor. I painted the block, heads, and oil pan grey. I also painted the headers black. You know the plate on the intake that says "5.0 ford HO" well I re-painted the lettering black. Then I sanded the brushed aluminum area real good and polished it out. It looks bad ASS. Anyway, I also cleaned up the engine compartment real good so I can get it painted. I worked for about 2 hours the other night getting it out of the garage and onto my trailer. I need to go buy a welder so I can finish some cool things under the hood before I get it painted. Soon as all that is done I will be setting the new motor in for the first time!
-Tim

where in san diego

Hey whats up? What part of san diego are you from? have not seen you around. And also how does it ride on the freeway compaired to having the ttb under there.

Hi there,
I am in the Clairemont area how about you? Chances are, If you saw it you would know it. It rides excellent, both on and off road. It is so smooth you wouldnt believe me unless I gave you a ride in it. Also, It has no bump steer what so ever. It is definately gonna be a whole new animal with the v8 installed. check out the thread under the explorer projects, "Chief 302ci" If you havent already.

Blocks also tend to make the ride very harsh. I always go spring pack and not blocks. Spring packs give you alot better ride.

that looks really good..what gear ratio do u need to run 38s? cause im thinkin about runnin 38s

His gear ratio with a nice 302, and your desired gear ratio with a 4.0 are two different things.

Did you have to cut any of your fenders to run those tires? Also did you more either one of your axles forward or backward? Very nice ride though. I am about to go in debt just so I can go ahead and SAS mine with a 44. I am going to have about 13 inches of lift and want to run 36x14.50. Did you have any clearence problems what so ever anywhere?

First Let me state that I am sorry it took so long to get back to you all. I just got back from my Honeymoon!!

Anyway, "Bithchenexplorer" Robb is right about this but I can still help you since I did go for about 6 months with my V6 before I did the swap. I need some info on your truck first before I can compare it to mine ratio wise. What Transmission is in yours and I assume it is already 4X4 Right?

...."APPX91" It is hard to say where my axle ended up at... I do believe it ended up a little bit farther forward than stock. Also, I did not cut my fenders but I DO Plan on a nice trim job because If i jump the truck they do hit my fenders up front. I already bent them some. It wasnt really untill after the springs got settled in until they did it. The major clearence issue you will have is the inside turning radius. Be carefull as to where you mount your leaf springs. The further out towards the tire the less your turning radius will be. Mine are offset towards the tire about 2 or 3 inches tops and my turning radius is still great but I wouldnt want any less and that is with my 12.50 wide tires. Just keep it in mind. The offset I am refering too is in relation to the frame rail. My leafs had to be offset toward the tire a little bit to clear the Vaccum disconnect housing located on the axle tube. Depending on what Axle you are using you might not have this issue which will make things easier like making mounts among others. There are pros and cons to both axle setups.

Yall let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!
I will keep on eye open for questions.
-Tim Howard

Back