• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer XLT No Start

Iqalumiuq

Reaction score
City, State
Iqaluit, Nunavut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Truck will crank but will not turn over. Problem was intermittent for a week now it's dead as a doornail. When problem was intermittent truck ran fine, then 20 minutes later wouldn't start. Then 4 hours later it would run fine again.

I noticed that the SES light does NOT come on when key is set to RUN in a no-start condition. When the SES light does come on when key is turned to RUN the truck starts just fine. Check oil light also comes on intermittantly when key is set to RUN in a no-start condition.

Truck has a remote start and in a no-start condition it won't start with key or remotely.

Any ideas where to start? I live in the Arctic, it's bloody cold and I don't have a garage, so a few quick checks would be the preferred first step!

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that the SES light does NOT come on when key is set to RUN in a no-start condition. When the SES light does come on when key is turned to RUN the truck starts just fine.
This suggests to me that the fault is in the PCM's main power supply. Get a wiring diagram (the one in Chiltons will be fine and can be obtained from autozone's website under vehicle repair guides). I'd probably start at the main EEC relay and make sure it is closing next time it won't start.

This suggests to me that the fault is in the PCM's main power supply. Get a wiring diagram (the one in Chiltons will be fine and can be obtained from autozone's website under vehicle repair guides). I'd probably start at the main EEC relay and make sure it is closing next time it won't start.

Thanks so much for the suggestion MrShorty. I have a Haynes manual at home with a wiring diagram. I presume the main EEC relay would be underhood in the relay/fuse centre eh? How do I verify if the relay is closing or not?

Thanks in advance!

The best way to check a relay is to put a voltmeter on the "outlet" (the red wire in this case), then turn the key on and see if there is +12 V on that red wire.

Opened the fuse box, tapped the eec relay lightly a few times, SES light came on and she fired right up. Gunna order the part tomorrow and just keep tap-tap-tappin' until it gets here. MrShorty, you da man! I am seriously gracious for your help. Thank You.

Back