1992 ranger 3.0L wont start when hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 ranger 3.0L wont start when hot

joe connolly

Reaction score
City, State
chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford ranger
HI, My 92 ranger 3.0L wont start after shutting down, it starts everytime when cold, but after running and shut down and trying to start again it gets no spark on plug wire tester, then, after awhile, while looking at tester and someone turning key I see light/spark and it starts. It only loses spark when its been up to running temp and then shut down. never while running and never when cold. I put in a new ignition coil and no change at all, it did not fix. I'd appreciate any point in direction to trouble shoot. Any Ideas? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..No idea why you wouldn't have any spark..:dunno:

..The first thing I would look at is a dead cell in the battery followed by having a look to see if your year has an ignition module in the steering column area or a crank position sensor (CPS) that might be going bad..:scratch:

Does the truck at least crank, when you try and start it?

I'd check your air filter, in that it might be clogged. Next, check your intake components, like your EGR system, throttle body, and PCV valve.

Next, check your ignition module (you've said you replaced the coils, and it didn't do anything). This is located on the intake manifold, on the driver's side, in the front. After this, check to see if you are getting signal from the Crank Position Sensor (CKP). If any of these components are bad, replace them.

Next, as you can start it when cold, you know the fuel pump works. Next, check your fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel injectors. If you haven't run any kind of cleaner through the system in a while, I would run some SeaFoam through the system.

Also, if you find that everything is working, you might have a bad coolant temprature sensor; this would give bad readings to the ECU, which in turn might keep the fuel pump from being turned on when the truck has been running for a while.

Thank you, I did get a new ignition module and pickup coil (stator) but have not installed them yet. I'm a bit confused as to how these conclusions came up. Maybe I didn't describe the problem accurately . The engine turns over and starts when cold every time and the engine runs as long as I need to and does not die, ever. After shutting down and trying to restart the following condition exists. : Engine turns over and there is no spark at wires, thus ,no start. If I wait long enough, the engine starts, thus, there is spark. So, in sequence; (Cold = Starts and keeps running) - Shutdown - (Still Hot = NO SPARK, NO START) - (Cooled Down= Starts). It is a heat sensitive ignition part and I hope either new Module or Stator solves it, I plan on just swapping both out, if that doesn't work I'm in for a serious troubleshooting challenge. Thanks.

A dead cell in the battery can give this same issue an would be what i would rule out first...

Back