1993 E-4WD Aerostar with 4WD codes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 E-4WD Aerostar with 4WD codes.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
Hello as a Newbie I have a gazillions of questions.1 were do I get a service book chitons is rwd only Hayes does not list awd pep boys called there distribution center and awd is not in the computer system. Amazon was a bust. eBay had a listing for factory service books no awd and at $140. I was not going to chance it. I found a relay in a glove box the owner said it was to disconnect the awd. She's been driving like this for 2 years no problems she said I put 75 miles on it and no problem. I plugged it in the light flashes 9 times then 5 seconds later reflashes. I found a long article about testing wheel sencers and electronic clutches.2 I took it to get looked at and a trans shop did not want to hunt down and test each sencer because a lot of the time the wireing harness were ceroaded.they suggest pull the Dana and put a explorer 2 speed transfer case and floor shifter setup. But they had no idea about the electronics. Would it be simpler to put a 5 speed and transfer case. I love this van and really would like the awd to work. Can I damage the tranny ha sing the relay unplugged

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the front diff different on a explorer. From what I read in a transmission trade mag article the Dana used wheel senceers on each wheel for speed to tell the transfer case which not to lock in posi mode so there's no chatter in tight turns. The shop I took it to look at why I found the relay in the glove box said the down side to the system is the wire harness to the sencer and relay oxidized and sends false sigles to the transfer case makeing the dash flash. Mine flashed 9 times. I have googled and all I can find is 4 flashes. So the shop say there's so many explores in bone yards get the case and floor transfer case shifter and replace it. I can't find a awd manual anywhere or order one if someone knows of a book beside chiton or Haynes please let me know.

9 flashes is either a front or rear wheel sensor or the clutch in the transfer case. Could be a bad ground or no power. The link has the test procedure for each fault code. The Explorer diff is different than the awd aerostar. Check the tag on the rear axle, the gear ratio must be 3.73. There is a control module under the drivers seat.

9 flashes is either a front or rear wheel sensor or the clutch in the transfer case. Could be a bad ground or no power. The link has the test procedure for each fault code. The Explorer diff is different than the awd aerostar. Check the tag on the rear axle, the gear ratio must be 3.73. There is a control module under the drivers seat.

Thank you does this have an obd2 it's a 94. I'm going nuts looking for a manual. I had pep boys order chliton and its rwd. They called the wear house the Hayes have no markings on cover if I order it and it's bad I lose $30 they won't take it back. I contacted 3 venders on Amazon they said there books are rwd. eBay has a factory service book it included ranger explorer Aerostar but it did not list awd model and that's $147.00 there's a company were there book is on line no print. And claimed it covered 4x4 Aerostar. The company said ford had 2 Aerostar models 4x4and eawd. My fender tags say eawd. Was the early 5speep a 4x4 different. But they won't say awd. I just want the awd book to figure out the awd light problem. I don't want to beat a dead horse to death

Back