• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer double din project

crpowell67

Reaction score
City, State
Christopher, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
I am getting ready to set my explorer up to accept a kenwood ddx719 double din unit I will be adding pics as I go along the first pic I am adding is just my plan so far I am gonna cut out the area in the black box when i am done with the cut I will add the pic of it.

IMG_20150422_154710_362.jpg

taking top part off so I can use same brace for head unit I hope

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribing, very interested in how this turns out!!

I haven't seen much for 1st gens as far as custom radio setups, aside from throwing in a single-din cheapie unit. This should be interesting :)

What is the attraction for the DD?
Going through all that I'd fiberglass something & mount a tablet.

Been done, looks like this in a first gen:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345061

You can do it, but there's really zero benefit, the double DIN units use the same amps as the single DIN units, and the top-of-the-line receivers are all single DIN units.

I guess people just like having a unit with a screen right in front of them, just like having a smartphone right in front of their face all the time.

I like the single DINs with the fold-out screens both because they fit in the factory opening, and for security reasons. You can't fold a double DIN screen up into the unit to hide it from prying eyes.

Been done, looks like this in a first gen:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345061

You can do it, but there's really zero benefit, the double DIN units use the same amps as the single DIN units, and the top-of-the-line receivers are all single DIN units.

I guess people just like having a unit with a screen right in front of them, just like having a smartphone right in front of their face all the time.

I like the single DINs with the fold-out screens both because they fit in the factory opening, and for security reasons. You can't fold a double DIN screen up into the unit to hide it from prying eyes.

Well in my case I have a cheap dual (walmart radio) and someone I know got a new radio so we took this one out and he gave it to me which is 100% better then what I had

Well in my case I have a cheap dual (walmart radio) and someone I know got a new radio so we took this one out and he gave it to me which is 100% better then what I had

Ahh the Dual's are horrible. I had one and my system still sounded horrible after getting new speakers, so I went and got a $99 Sony unit, and it sounded soo much better. It also has the USB slot so I just put my music on an 8gb flash drive and stuck it in there. I love the way my trucks stereo sounds now.

I've never, ever been disappointed with Kenwood or JVC. My current system is all Kenwood. Door speakers, sub, amp, all of it. Sounds great!

Can't wait to see how your double din project goes. It's something I've thought about.

I could completely understand wanting a double din with GPS, backup camera, and the whole bit. The one the OP wants to use is nothing more than a touch screen radio. That said, It doesn't look like it will be all that difficult, and he already has the deck...

I could completely understand wanting a double din with GPS, backup camera, and the whole bit. The one the OP wants to use is nothing more than a touch screen radio. That said, It doesn't look like it will be all that difficult, and he already has the deck...

The units plays dvd, backup camera , bluetooth installed , has two extra audio/video hook ups where which my bud had a old school playstaion hooked up , can use gps with a iphone/ipod

Here is my progress I have a piece of cardboard on top I ordered a piece of black plastic plus I needed the sleeve and trim ring so ordered them to.

When they arrive I will take everything apart and make a video of what all I did and what tools I found best to make the install.

I will be sanding down the spots where it is white where I cut off the middle bar and hit it with black paint

2015-04-27%2019.18.56.jpg

I've never, ever been disappointed with Kenwood or JVC. My current system is all Kenwood. Door speakers, sub, amp, all of it. Sounds great!

Can't wait to see how your double din project goes. It's something I've thought about.

I have Kenwood DDX719 with 2 Rockford P2 10' subs in a ported box
a 600w 2 channel Rockford amp and a Rockford capacitor that is all getting hooked up

That's the same stereo I had in my super duty. It was a pretty decent unit, but I was a little disappointed with several aspects of it. I should have spent the extra money, and gotten the next one up. One of the main things I didn't like was that, even with it set to "dim", it was still too bright for night driving. I do love me some kenwood though... Just not that particular one.

Very interested in seeing the final product though!

That's the same stereo I had in my super duty. It was a pretty decent unit, but I was a little disappointed with several aspects of it. I should have spent the extra money, and gotten the next one up. One of the main things I didn't like was that, even with it set to "dim", it was still too bright for night driving. I do love me some kenwood though... Just not that particular one.

Very interested in seeing the final product though!

must of been messed up.. mine goes so dim I can barley see it

Did this ever get wrapped up? I'd like to see the finished product.

Did this ever get wrapped up? I'd like to see the finished product.

Not yet this project got put on the side for a bit... still looks like last pic I added I have to wait till beginning of the month to buy some fiberglass cloth and matt and risen to finish it off. then I will take it all apart and show step by step what I did

Back