1993 explorer lift kit questions help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorer lift kit questions help!

norcal925

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Xlt
Im installing a skyjacker 1.5-2 inch lift kit on my 93 and need to know what size tires will fit.
Ive planned on getting 31x10.5 goodyear dura tracs on 15x8 procomps
The lift would be front coils and then rear add a leafs with notro shocka
im going to add shackles in the back as well for more clearance because of the currently sagging rear. For a 2inch front lift and 2-2.5 rear lift.
If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated, any suggestions for my lift to are welcome
Thanks for your help in advance:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you could fit a 33x9.5 but a 32 might be the tallest

I think you could fit a 33x9.5 but a 32 might be the tallest

So itd definitely fit a 31x10.5? I just want to get good tire clearance in my fenders

and plus 31'swhat are alot cheaper than 32'syou and 33's

You can definetly fit a 31x10.5 I think you can stock but I donno

You can definetly fit a 31x10.5 I think you can stock but I donno
Okay sweet thanks man
What upgrades would you recomend for mt explorer? As far as offroad upgrades, im trying to have a rig i can take to the trails and do better than stock.
does the explorer have a limited slip diff? Or is it open?

Look at the tag or door thing. If the diff tag has a "l" then its limited slip, or if the door tag has a "d" then its limited slip. As for offroad upgrades, that depends on your budget and how hard the trails are. A winch is a good idea, as are rock sliders

Look at the tag or door thing. If the diff tag has a "l" then its limited slip, or if the door tag has a "d" then its limited slip. As for offroad upgrades, that depends on your budget and how hard the trails are. A winch is a good idea, as are rock sliders

Okay cool, how will the 31's do with the gearing on the explorer? The wrangler duratrac tires arent too heavy for 31's theyre about 70-71 a tire, will i feel alot of drag?

Who makes rock sliders for explorers? Or can you make them? And just to clarify, d or L means limited slip?

They way tires fit depends on how much your springs sag. also a 2" lift is pretty pricey compaired to using $2 worth of washers to do the same thing.

Doing a search for the different mods will save you allot of time and money.

Ive planned on getting 31x10.5 goodyear dura tracs on 15x8 procomps
Then you will be fine with the skyjacker 2" kit. I ran that kit for years with 31's & 8" rims & never had any problem.
For power loss, if you have 3.27 gears they will be terrible to get on the HW with. No acceleration to pass, & slow to merge. Gas mileage will blow as well. I had these gears.

Then you will be fine with the skyjacker 2" kit. I ran that kit for years with 31's & 8" rims & never had any problem.
For power loss, if you have 3.27 gears they will be terrible to get on the HW with. No acceleration to pass, & slow to merge. Gas mileage will blow as well. I had these gears.

Is there any way i can get around it being that bad if my gears are 3.27? Maybe only 30 inch tires or will that not make a difference? I just need a cheap solution if there is one. I know regearing is expenisve

They way tires fit depends on how much your springs sag. also a 2" lift is pretty pricey compaired to using $2 worth of washers to do the same thing.

Doing a search for the different mods will save you allot of time and money.
Ive been researching it for almost 5 months now, i dont wanna use washers because i want the kit to last and be durable. I also upgraded to nitro shocks because i needed new ones then im just adding an ad a leaf in the rear.
my lift with shocks was $376 i thought this was a good deal
and i added a stabilizer kit that was $75
Thanks though

Do some searching on here to find your axle code. That'll tell you what gear ratio and whether or not its limited slip.
Don't know of anyone that makes rock sliders, you'll have to make em or have a shop make them

I have a 93 4x4 and my axle code is D4, which is located on the driver side door jam. D4 is a limited slip with 3.71 gears, which is good for 31 10.5 tires.

I had 31s no lift sagging rear and he's right gas mileage was terrible didnt have a problem with power tho I did 85 a couple times you should make quick disconnects for your sway bad so you have some flex stock ttb don't have much flex with the sway bars connected I think you could probably fit 33s tho

Back