Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1994 AWD Explorer driveshaft

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rodneymorris, July 31, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. rodneymorris

rodneymorris New Member

City, State:
    lovington nm
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Ford Explorer
    I have a 1994 AWD Explorer that started making noise where the drive shaft comes out of the transmission to the transfer case. A local mechanic confirmed that the drive shaft had gone bad and the cost of a new one was around $650.00. Is there anything special that I need to know before I remove that drive shaft, thus creating a two wheel drive vehicle? Will the vehicle even allow me to do this?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Dan Whitaker

Dan Whitaker One fast putty tat Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
    No Mounty no more.
    First off you do not have AWD. only 1996-2001 V8 equiped Explorers had AWD.

Second you can get a dive shaft from a salvage yard or pick-n-pull for a hell of a lot less than $650. You'll just want to have the u-joints replaced. And don't have the "local mechanic" do it as he is trying to take you to the cleaners.

4. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
    mass
    92 explorer
    Welcome to the site

We Support Our Troops!