1994 Explorer Limited- yes I bought another one... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer Limited- yes I bought another one...

ghosttrain2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Klamath Falls, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Have been looking for another Explorer, to rob the drive train for my Bronco 2. I found this one locally, and feel it's too clean to part out. This thing seems to have every available option that was offered, including power seat memory, sun roof, autolamps, and so on. It has 103500 miles. Any thoughts??
thumbnail_20190329_131245.jpg
thumbnail_20190329_131300.jpg
thumbnail_20190329_131306.jpg
thumbnail_20190329_131211.jpg
thumbnail_20190329_131256.jpg

thumbnail_20190329_131322.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd keep it. The first gen limited was only built for two years. That one is in good shape. It would be a shame to cut it up. If you do though, I don't think you would have any trouble selling parts.

Where are you located? You've got to be out west somewhere. First gens are almost non existent here anymore. If you find one its rusted so bad it's useless.

Nice truck, good shape.

I loved my old 93 Limited, but don't have many parts left from it. I saved the 112,622 mile engine and trans, but finally let go of the dash and diff's. I still have the door panels and a new master switch someplace, the old ABS module, instrument cluster etc. Okay I still have some things, I should clean up around here.

Save as many Gen I as you can! They are starting to make a comeback :) Besides if you need a 4.0 OHV engine and trans the 96+ trucks are much better

I'm in northern Nevada

That makes sense. It's a very nice first gen, whatever you decide to do. I wish my limited had as nice a body as yours. It's gonna need a lot of rust repair.

That makes sense. It's a very nice first gen, whatever you decide to do. I wish my limited had as nice a body as yours. It's gonna need a lot of rust repair.

That sounds easier to repair by swapping the body as a whole. If you can completely disassemble a vehicle, you could do that, find a good truck body and swap all the good parts around.

I've fought some rust a few times, and sometimes wasn't worth the labor later on when parts prices dropped. I "fixed" a 91 LF door that had some bottom edge rust, to save $200 rather than get a nicer door. I had to go into that rust again seven years later, and a few year later I bought a good used 98 door for $75, which I'll swap in and toss the 91 door. That was minor rust too, not serious rocker panel stuff.

That sounds easier to repair by swapping the body as a whole. If you can completely disassemble a vehicle, you could do that, find a good truck body and swap all the good parts around./QUOTE]

That's actually something I've done before. The hard part is finding one rust free to begin with. Then preventing the rust on the better one is the next challenge.

Huh? Don't know what happened there... My response got mingled in with the quotation.

That's actually something I've done before. The hard part is finding one rust free to begin with. Then preventing the rust on the better one is the next challenge.

I did that with my 99 Limited, with my 93 body, to reconstruct the 99(link in my signature). If you can find a whole good 1st gen, and can do the work, swap engines etc, interior and wiring etc, then it would be easier that the rust. My 91 I need to get rid of, it's too far gone to be worth my repairing(trans front seal leak, engine doesn't start etc), it's for sale.

If that is the actual mileage, and if it runs/drives well, I couldn't part it out.

(Edit: I'm blind sometimes)
I'm not going to, already looking for another..and that is actual mileage.

thumbnail_20190329_131314.jpg

I'm not going to, already looking for another..and that is actual mileage.

View attachment 168954
Excellent, I loved the 93/94 Limited's. The rugs and seats, plus floor mats were special, and when the OEM CD player worked, that was nice for a stock radio. I tried to make the 93 rug fit my 99 but for some reason the 99 rug fit the trans tunnel much better.

I do have spare rear seats if you need them. I bought them planning to gut them to build storage space within them. But then Amazon blew up, and now I don't use any rear seats for work.

I think that's a good decision! It's a very late 94 if it's got the 6 digit odometer.

Just looked at the production date, 6/94, so yes, it's a late '94.

Awesome. That's why I said if actual mileage because most only had the 5 digit, and roll over back to zero at 100k. This rig is a limited production vehicle, and would be worth a restore, for the right person. A 2nd gen 302 conversion for the B2 would be worth it.

May as well update this too. I went ahead and licensed this... replaced the radio that was not working, and was surprised that the harness has not been cut there. Replaced a bad power seat switch, rear wiper motor, A/C manifold and hose assembly, and cracked fan blade.The A/C is nice and cold. The cruise control was the last thing to be repaired, and after testing, found the amplifier was bad, and replaced. (note the amplifiers have not changed since their introduction in 1979). Everything is now working on this. The DSO on this particular Explorer was Fairbanks, Alaska. It has a block heater, and a heater on the transmission pan. Changed the oil on it today, and the underside is very clean...was surprised at that.

dang that is a nice find!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, here we are a few years later, this now has 107,000 miles on it, and will be making it's way to my home in Oregon. Decided to sell my Bronco 2, as I desperately need to reduce down the fleet. I will be planning some mechanical upgrades, especially the brakes. Need to find the front brake upgrade using the '96 Ranger spindles, I thought it was saved in the useful threads section.

Back