Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1994 Explorer XLT AC leak...

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by screagan21, April 6, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. screagan21

screagan21 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Explorer XLT
    Hey all! I'm new here. Finally became a member because I've got a question. I've got a 1994 Explorer XLT. It had been sitting in a garage for a number of years before I bought it. That was last October. Since I live in Idaho the AC hadn't really been too much of a concern. Now I'm down in Arizona for a bit so I wanted to try and get it working. I charged it up while I jumped the low pressure switch and got the compressor clutch running well and the AC started blowing nice cold air. It lasted for about one trip to the store and then it was warm again and the clutch wouldn't engage... Turns out I have a bad leak, but I can't tell where it's coming from.

There is AC oil on the seam of the evaporator core and it formed drips on the bottom of it, but I've heard that an evaporator leak is fairly rare so I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts? Could it be just that those bolts on the side of the evaporator are loose and need tightening?? These pics were taken after some of the oil dried.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Centaurious

Centaurious Active Member

City, State:
    Pensacola FL
    1994 Explorer Sport
    Buy a cheap sniffer, it will save you hours of time and guesswork.

4. overripeturnip

overripeturnip New Member

City, State:
    Littleton, CO
    92 Explorer XLT 4x4
    ...or a bottle of refrigerant with UV dye in it and have a poke around with a black light. It's really obvious if you have the black light but, even if you don't, any leak should be reasonably conspicuous.