1994 Ford Explorer. Ignition key cylinder replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer. Ignition key cylinder replacement.

GPTRealty

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I was wondering if anyone has endeavored to remove and replace a bad key cylinder in a Ford Explorer. It is a V6, XLT, no air bags, does have a security system. I had 5 or 6 keys and now only one will fit the ignition. Pretty sure it needs a new cylinder which I bought at Advanced Auto Parts. I have a steering wheel puller. In reading some other literature on newer autos it makes me fear trying to do it myself. Maybe the older 94 Ford is easier. If anyone has removed and replaced a cylinder in a 94 Explorer any advice or tips would be appreciated. Would you recommending trying it or just letting an auto service company do it for me??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cars without airbags are easier so you shouldnt have any problems doing it yourself just be very careful of the wiring in the column

Copied from a thread I found searching for 'ignition lock'. It also appears that, if you have a tilt column, it may need to be tilted all the way up or down to get to the pin in step 7. The factory manual says to remove the steering wheel, but apparently not.

Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder - 7 easy steps.

1. Disconnect battery
2. Make sure battery is disconnected
3. Remove steering column cover (3 screws IIRC)
4. Place key in the ignition and turn it to the "run" position
5. On the underside of the ignition there is a 1/8" dia. hole, push in with a
punch/awl/small screwdriver/etc. This pushes the release pin for the lock
cylinder. (sometimes it takes a bit of pressure to move the pin)
6. Pull cylinder toward passenger side, and remove electrical plug (if it has
one)
7. Install is reverse of removal.

I had to remove the steering wheel to get to the pin hole. I was unable to see it from either all the way up or all the way down. I know some say you don't, I was not one of them.
And here's a trick. If you take your VIN to a ford dealer & buy a ignition cylinder from them, they can match up a cylinder that is keyed to the doors. Then you will have the same key for both.

No Access Holes

Copied from a thread I found searching for 'ignition lock'. It also appears that, if you have a tilt column, it may need to be tilted all the way up or down to get to the pin in step 7. The factory manual says to remove the steering wheel, but apparently not.

Replacing Ignition Lock Cylinder - 7 easy steps.

1. Disconnect battery
2. Make sure battery is disconnected
3. Remove steering column cover (3 screws IIRC)
4. Place key in the ignition and turn it to the "run" position
5. On the underside of the ignition there is a 1/8" dia. hole, push in with a
punch/awl/small screwdriver/etc. This pushes the release pin for the lock
cylinder. (sometimes it takes a bit of pressure to move the pin)
6. Pull cylinder toward passenger side, and remove electrical plug (if it has
one)
7. Install is reverse of removal.

I'm trying to do this on my '94 Explorer Sport, 5-speed and tilt. I can go as far as #4 , but there is no hole on the underside of the casting. I have seen posts on other sites by people having the same problem. One solution was to use a coat hanger to access the release pin via a tube in the casting on top. I didn't have any luck with that either as there are still no openings.

any suggestions for AUX i replaced my cylinder but cant seem to get auxillary power to function the key goes back but no power to instrumentation

Sounds like it's out of adjustment. I replaced the steering column in mine, the internal part, not the housing that bolts to the dash. The only thing that changed was the cylinder and rod. The ignition switch was the same but I re-adjusted it. Didn't have Aux before and now I do.

Check my video, I go over what I think is proper adjustment of the switch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7W0pzd6sdA

Back