1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1994 XLT lift questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drstein, December 17, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. drstein

drstein New Member

City, State:
      Justin, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT
      Hey everyone!

I recently picked up a 1994 XLT that is 100% stock. I wanted to put a lift kit on it so I could get at least 31" tires on it, but here's the problem: I think that the 4" Superlift kits might be a bit much, because it's also my daily driver.

Do any of you have experience with any 2" kits? Good/bad?

My commute is about 80 miles per day, so I'm already gonna eat it on gas.. but I only work 4 days a week and spend most of the weekends camping & exploring off-road (not quite up to the Rubicon, sticking to dirt & mud for now..heh)

Also I was thinking of a safari style roof rack and some KC lights.

Any tips/advice/reviews/etc would be great. :D

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      welcome to the site.... 2" is fine... but you will always want more... you may be able to fit 31s stock... some peopel can, and some cant.... do a search on this site for zensius he is also in pleasnt hill and has a nice lifted explorer....

4. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      If you are not afraid of some sheetmetal trimming, you can at least fit 31's with no lift - but they will not work out that well off-road.

You can get 2" with a shackle and/or an add-a-leaf in the rear and a spring spacer in the front for the most economical lift.

For 3" kits, you get brakets that relocate stuff - along with either a new spring pack out back, or some combination of the stuff above, plus shocks that are longer.

There is also a body lift option, where you raise the body off the frame by either 2" or 3" depending on the kit.

Any of these combinations will not drastically affect your daily driver, and IMO, Explorers actually handle as well with a good lift (and good shocks) with 31's than they do stock.

BTW, I drive my 92 EVERYWHERE and I have a very "flexy" suspension - removed rear sway bar - 2" of lift (but 18" of total travel) and a 3" body lift - plus trimming to fit 33's.

Same goes for my Ranger, which has about 5" lift, no sway bars - super flexy (soft) suspension... The Ranger regularly makes trips back and forth from Kentucky to Wisconsin...

I wouldn't fear driving your truck with a lift... Just get some decent parts.

5. drstein

drstein New Member

City, State:
      Justin, TX
      1994 XLT
      "You can get 2" with a shackle and/or an add-a-leaf in the rear and a spring spacer in the front for the most economical lift."

Really? Cool.... uh, 'bout how much will that cost me? :)

Seeing as how I'm kinda lazy.. I was wondering if anyone sold those as a kit. I've Googled & Googled and so far I've only seen the 4" Superlift kits....

Dunno if I could fit 31s the way it is now, that's why I was going for at least
      the 2" lift. :)

Thanks again for the replies

6. bitchinexplorer

bitchinexplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Texas
      91 XLT
      ive seen the spring spacer run about $100, the shackle about $60, and add a leaf for about $30-40. and my body lift cost me a total of $126. do the body lift with spacer and aal or shackle, its cheap, easy, and u can fit bigger tires.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      There are a LOT of companies that sell what you are looking for, and if you can't find one, PM me and I'll get you my son's phone number (he works for Louisville 4-Wheel Drive and they represent Rancho, B-D Suspension, Tera-Flex, and almost anything else you could want).

Remember, stuff from a similar year Ranger will also fit your Explorer... BUT the rear axle is different in the Explorer - the Explorer has the rear springs UNDER the axle, while the Rangers have the rear spring OVER the axle, which means that something like lift BLOCKS will not work in the Explorer (will lower instead of raise). Other stuff like add-a-leaves, shackles etc. will go both ways.

Here are a couple of other options from eBay (and I'm not making any recommendations here - just showing examples - but Davy's is good - we've bought from him before).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42609&item=7941819510&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=2480840543&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=2465719008&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=2459517905&category=33585

8. drstein

drstein New Member

City, State:
      Justin, TX
      1994 XLT
      Awww yeah!! Right on, thanks. :D The 2" kits are cheaper than I thought. I do believe that I'll be buying one of them in the near future.

2" shouldn't affect gas mileage too much, eh?

9. bitchinexplorer

bitchinexplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Texas
      91 XLT
      not too bad

10. j602

j602 resident douche

City, State:
      Dothan, AL
      '92 XLT
      It's not the amount of lift, it's the tire size change that will affect mileage. But no, going from stock size to a 31 will not change your mileage drastically.