1994 XLT - Wants to die on first start of the day | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 XLT - Wants to die on first start of the day

BoweP

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hi all, I have a 1994 Explorer with 55,x.. miles. I bought it from the original owners who used it as a tow behind. The old man passed away about 6 months ago, and it didn't see a lot of road action prior to that. When the car is cold, like the first start of the day, it will keep wanting to die for the first quarter mile on the road (almost feels like a bad miss, with battery light flickering and it sends the ABS light off.) After that, it runs totally fine. I'm new to Explorers, but have learned how touchy those ABS lights are. Thank you!

You have a bad battery and or bad alternator.

The flickering idiot lights and stalling are due to low voltage (so low the computer is shutting down)

Those were the first two things that I checked for, even replaced the battery. Turns out they had a special part on the ground cable so that the cars lights could be used but the battery wouldn't be dead when the previous owners were towing it behind their RV. Long story short, I feel like an idiot :thumbsup:

Back