Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1995 Explorer XLT. Low fuel pressure.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by tgavel, June 23, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. tgavel

tgavel New Member

City, State:
    MA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Explorer XLT
    Hi,

I would like to know if the truck is running and you unplug the fuel pump relay, should the vehicle stay running or should it stall out? I am having problem with truck and already replaced fuel pump, filter and am trying to find out if the problem is the relay or the fuel pressure regulator without just throwing all my money into parts.

Thanks!
    Terri

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    eventually it will stall out after it burns the fuel in the lines.

what problem are you having?

4. tgavel

tgavel New Member

City, State:
    MA
    2004 Explorer XLT
    The truck starts and runs, stumbles and/or dies when you step on the gas pedal. I don't have a gauge to put on it, but when you push the schrader valve plenty of fuel sprays out and the fuel pressure regulator is right after the schrader valve in the fuel rail. Is it possible that the regulator is no good? Or does it sound like an ignition problem? I also hooked it up to a scanner and it said that it wouldn't connect and to make sure key is on, and the connection was good. The truck was running at the time, so I know that the key was on.... I am at a loss. ANY help is appreciated.

Terri

5. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    Terri- if you're trying to hook up a scanner to the plug under the dash, that won't work, it's a dummy plug- feel behind it, there are no wires going to it. :)

Try this:

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

6. 03whtexpsprt

03whtexpsprt New Member

03 sport
    sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me....its prob not letting enough fuel thru the line.....also take some throttle cleaner n clean out the throttle body and run some injector cleaner thru the tank.....

7. tgavel

tgavel New Member

City, State:
    MA
    2004 Explorer XLT
    I did change fuel filter when I changed fuel pump 2 days ago. I felt for wires behind the OBD plug and saw the pins for them when I looked at it. I did feel a few wires coming out of the back of plug. I have already put cleaner in the tank. Should I do a second one? I am borrowing a fuel pressure gauge and will do that in the morning. What should the reading be? The fuel pressure at the rail?

Thanks!
    Terri

8. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    They're not wired for OBD though- you can't use the port on a '95. You have to use the port under the hood.

Here is the procedure for the fuel pressure test:

HERE is a link

Last edited: June 23, 2011
  9. 03whtexpsprt

03whtexpsprt New Member

03 sport
    you can also disconnect the filter and leave it off...put a rag over the line real good and hold it on there and have someone turn the key to the on position(DO NOT START THE VEHICLE!) just turn it to where the pump clicks on...see if the pump is even pushing fluid thru the line...if no gas soaked on the rag than you have a bad pump...

10. tgavel

tgavel New Member

City, State:
    MA
    2004 Explorer XLT
    Hi,

Ok, so the fuel pump and filter have both been replaced and I am still having the same problem. I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge and got a reading of 10 PSI while running. What should it be? I know that the fuel lines are not clogged. Does the reading of the 10PSI mean that the fuel pressure regulator is junk and needs to be replaced?

11. tgavel

tgavel New Member

City, State:
    MA
    2004 Explorer XLT
    Hi,

I am at a complete loss, I have changed the fuel pump(twice incase it was bad fuel pump), fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. I am still getting a reading of 10PSI.

Any suggestions??????

Thanks,
    Terro

12. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. You either have a kinked line or something is clogged. Did you replace or clean the in tank sock filter?

We Support Our Troops!