1995 misfire/lugging engine...HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 misfire/lugging engine...HELP!

keller_32

Reaction score
City, State
Centre County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay. Here's the situation:

I have been having off and on misfires for almost the past 6 months now. what started out as rarely happening is now becoming a trend. I first blamed it on my bad trans, but that has since been replaced by a new rebuilt one.

This happens usually when the Ex is under power (ie: going up a hill, accelerating moderately) or totally at random.

I have cleaned the mass air flow sensor
I have cleaned the contacts of the coil pack - spotless
I have replaced the transmission
I have replaced the fuel filter

Could it be plugged up cat or exhaust leak?
Spark plugs?

Granted, this Ex has 184xxx miles. But i need it to last me another year yet, and it is going downhill fast.

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME why my vehicle is doing this or what is causing it or any ideas?

Anything would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any codes from scanner? plugs, wires, coil pack. Fuel filter, fuel pump. Many things could be wrong and more than one thing can be wrong. So have you scanned it for any codes?

Misfire under load is text book spark plugs/wires/coil.

Why would you think a transmission would cause a misfire?

misfires can be attributed to anything. Like above said is the check engine light on? if so did you pull codes and diagnose from there? it could be coils, plugs, wires, most of could be a bad injector, and or vacuum leak thats causing it. if the 5.0 the passenger manifold is notorious for leaking. I just had mine replaced along with the egr tube and valve and trust me she's gotta lot more pep in her step now.

no codes come up. And i blamed the lugging (the car was thumping and could not accelerate) on the transmission slipping and just being a piece of s***.

I think i am going to replace plugs and see if that will fix my problem

Back