Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1995 XLT

Discussion in 'Explorer Registry' started by topo4u2, September 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1995 XLT
      Hello All,

My name is Mike and I'm from Ontario, Canada. I just recently bought my first Ford Explorer. It is in excellent shape with a lot of miles unfortunately..222,000km. It is a beautiful SUV in my opinion.
      It has a good bundle of options including leather seats, 6way power, roof rack, keyless entry, dark green in color, am-fm cassete, control trac, 3.73 limited slip, automatic, keypad entry on drivers door, new tires, ice cold air, power locks and windows, temp and compass in upper console, dual air bag, anti-theft.
      Everything works except one thing...the stupid map lights above me in the upper console...still working on that one.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. toad

toad Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Blue Point, Ontario, CANADA
      2007 Sport Trac
      Welcome Mike , careful this place can be addictive. Where in Ont. you from?

4. JAGinSTL

JAGinSTL New Member

City, State:
      St. Louis Missouri
      1998 XLT 5.0 (302)
      MAP LIGHTS

Hey,

First does your cigarette lighter work?

I know one my 98 XLT they are on the same fuse. The Aux on the passenger side towards the front is on a different one.

If your cigarette lighter works you may want to check the bulbs it self there maybe debris on the connectors or the bulb maybe burned out.

If the bulb is fine and the connection is good then press the button to turn them on. If they turn on then the problem is with the relay (pressure switch) on the doors to turn the dome lights on and off. Go to you auto parts store and get some cleaner. It might be like $5 US

If the problem still is there take you Explorer to a Ford Dealer. They will be able to run down the problem quicker than a local garage. :cool:

A few quick tips before I go. First pull the fuse to that part of the electrical system before you start clean. When cleaning it use 120 grit sandpaper or higher, you want something really fine. Third when you clean your relays make sure to get them all, 4 doors and the back hatch. Good Luck

Aaron

5. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Thanks

I think I have the problem traced to the printed circuit board in the overhead console. Looks like all the power and ground for the map lights comes out of it.
      I was wondering if the map lights come on with the door open or just buy the overhead switches?
      Anyway any more technical about this subject I shall take it over to another thread.
      Thanks.

6. JAGinSTL

JAGinSTL New Member

City, State:
      St. Louis Missouri
      1998 XLT 5.0 (302)
      Your Over Head Lights (DOME LIGHTS) Should come on when you open your doors thats why you may want to check those switches. Ok well thats all.

Aaron