1996 4wd Eddie Bauer Explorer Aftermarket H/U Install? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 4wd Eddie Bauer Explorer Aftermarket H/U Install?

mikereed00

Reaction score
City, State
Goodrich, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Okay. So I have my beautiful '96 Eddie Bauer Truck. And I am trying to install an AfterMarket head unit to it. (I am also installing an amp+subs but i know how to do this). And i suppose i know how to install an aftermarket headunit as well. But to bad ford put in the premium sound into my truck.

Well, when I install the head unit and turn on the vehicle, everything works. Except no sound goes to either of the 4 speakers. Not even hissing.

Now, ofcourse i've done research on this, and i see i need a special wire harness.

And ofcourse i've already went out and paid the $10 for it. And i got the one for the '95 - '97 Explorer with premium sound. Its the Scoshe(SP?) brand and yes i got it from wal-mart.

But then i was thinking, maybe theres a special one for the eddie bauer trucks that walmart is simply just to cheap to stock.

And i've also read somewhere i might have to bypass the built in amp in my truck? well i have no idea how to do that. I've already taken off my drivers side door panel with the intentions of rewiring my whole truck. (Meaning all 4 speakers.) Well in all honesty, once i got the door panel off and the speaker out. I just don't want to spend that time. Because i am quite sure there is an easier way.

And i am positive it is not the head unit, because this is my second one i've tryed.

Any help?? Please!

P.S. It is a Dual XD6210 Head Unit. Which i have found nothing on google for.

THANK YOU!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Well if you're installing a new HU, amp & subs why do you want to bypass the stock one? just take it off and re-wire everything.

If you already searched, then you already know the harness that you need to buy in case you don't want to re-wire

im not even sure where the stock amp is. and im not exactly entirely sure on how to get the speaker wire throughout the vehicle.

where is the stock amp?

and is this easier than i think it is? haha

i guess my real question is...is there a way to hook up my head unit ect ect, without having to rewire? and im not hooking an amp up to the door speakers.

thanks!

I wired my truck for speakers in ~30min for ~US$10 worth of wire, faster and cheaper than waiting for a harness, I didn't have tha stock amp so I can't help you there, I thought you were running an amp to the speakers as well

No sir. I'm just hooking the speakers up to the head unit. I've already purchased the speaker wire with intentions to rewire the whole darn thing. But i figured i'd come here first to see if there was an easier fix.

So you think i should just rewire it?

I would, just think that the original wire is 14-15 years old and you're putting a new HU, also you have to order the harness and wait for it to arrive, but at the end it's your truck I can only tell you what I'd do on mine and you can take the suggestion or not hehe

This sounds like you may have a JBL system in it. Is that possible? If so, the radio antenna lead will actually plug into the "amp" in back next to the sub amp. That is actually the radio unit. If so, you need an adapter harness that brings all those wires back to the front of the vehicle...and included the antenna lead.

i dont think i have the jbl system. cause i do not have the built in sub. so i dont even know what the deal is. i bought a harness from wal-mart that said it was for '95 - '97 Explorers with the premium sound. And i just dont know.

this has gotten me soo frusterated. i think im just gonna take it in and get it all put in. much easier. haha.

but i wont do that til friday. so if anyone has any other ideas to help me out, i would extremely appreciate them :]

I'd say run them yourself

my last explorer was a 96, and though it wasn't an eddie edition, i had the same problem. I found that my wiring had been chopped up by the previous owner and so for you to hook up the head unit, i would suggest running all your own speaker wires, unless you want to pay a hundred bucks for others to do it.

You should try to everything apart, if your HU dont turns on, try getting another power line and ground and see if it turns on, if your HU turns on, try hocking one of you speakers directly to your HU to see if it works, after that you know if is your HU with the problem, is your wires or your speakers.

I have learned that the easiest way to found a car audio problem is trying everything by itself to see if it works correctly.

Hope this help

Back