1996 Explorer 4wd 4R55E trans slipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer 4wd 4R55E trans slipping

cf11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4wd 4.0L
I am trying to decide if I want to buy a 1996 Explorer 4.0 4wd with a transmission problem. From what I have read it has the 4R55E in it. I can get it cheap, but I'm searching for possible causes for the problem.
Here is what the owner told me about it. First of all he said it has been well maintained, he bought it from an uncle that bought it new.
He went to put it in 4wd and it did not feel like it engaged, then when he began to accelerate it started slipping. He says it seems okay driving in town but if you go over 35-40 mph it begins to slip. He said the check engine light came on not the OD light.
He thinks the 4wd and slipping problems are related, but I thought normally the transfer case works independently.
In fact I'm not sure there really is a 4wd problem.

Do these symptoms sound firmiliar to anyone?

Along with that what degree (all or some parts) of rebuild would you recommend?

I plan to drive it myself and see if it is failing to change gears when it begins to slip. I would add the truck has around 200,000 miles on it.

This is an amazing forum, loaded with information. Being a long time Ford lover I feel right at home.

My main question would be could a transfer case malfunction effect the transmission? As in failing to engage into 4wd?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Back