1996 Explorer 5.0 V8 AWD Oil Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer 5.0 V8 AWD Oil Questions

Daniel Baker

Reaction score
City, State
Midlothian Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer V8 AWD XLT
Hi all, I have a 1996 Explorer V8 XLT AWD, and it has 206,000 miles. It has had conventional oil changes all it's life, but I was wondering If switching to synthetic would be a good idea. I like the idea of longer change intervals, and better protection, but I'm worried it will start leaking oil.

Thanks,

Daniel Baker

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran synthetic oil in my previous 5.0 with over 200k and it never leaked any oil at all. If you switched to synthetic and it happened to leak, you could just switch back.

With all the vehicles I have to maintain, I use Molbil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance with extended life oil filters. As none of my vehicles get more than 10k a year put on them (most around 5k) I'm comfortable changing oil once a year. Mobil 1 recently came out with a new oil (Annual Protection) which is supposed to allow a 15k once a year change interval, but it's a bit more expensive, so I'll be sticking with the EP. If you have a Walmart in your area the EP is $25 for the 5 qt jug, which is the best price I've found.

I have rear main seal leaks on 2 of my 5.0's, but that's pretty common on this engine. The leaks aren't bad enough to worry about (no spots on the driveway) and I don't think using the synthetic oil caused/worsened the leaks.

This is also my first year trying a once a year oil change. I run Castrol Edge gold and 10k mile filter. I usually don't get into the whole fuel treatment stuff,but I also added some Lucas oil additive. I'm about 3k miles in on it, but I'm going to push it to 10k and see how the oils looking.

Go full synth. I'd go with a high mileage variant.

Back