1996 explorer cam swap on stock ecu | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer cam swap on stock ecu

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford explorer 5.0
Ok I keep seeing guys who have swapped f cams and x cams in the explorer from 1996 to 2001 and I see it's on the stock setup meaning no distributor, so my question is and I am a mechanic can I swap an f303 cam into the 96 explorer and it will run and learn the cam till it's tuned or will it not run at all my buddy says it will run fine but I want real world experience in the question I'm asking not what you read off the side of a cereal box. Please only respond if you know first hand or second and seen it done thanks and this is my first post I just joined last night I'm swapping the 1996 explorer 5.0 into my 2007 single cab ranger that I already did a 4.0 swap into as the single cab never came with the 4.0 let me know, dee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

F cam may have piston clearance issues. B and E have been used by others with stock tune prior to final tuning. The F cam will get your RPM's beyond the reliable point of the pedestal rocker arms.

did you read the notes here?

SMALL BLOCK V-8 HYDRAULIC ROLLER TAPPET CAMSHAFTS

Choose a cam with 114 lobe separation and it will run on stock PCM.

Welcome to the forum.

F cam may have piston clearance issues. B and E have been used by others with stock tune prior to final tuning. The F cam will get your RPM's beyond the reliable point of the pedestal rocker arms.

did you read the notes here?

SMALL BLOCK V-8 HYDRAULIC ROLLER TAPPET CAMSHAFTS
It tells you that the other cams you quoted won't work either like I said real world answers thanks

Choose a cam with 114 lobe separation and it will run on stock PCM.
Thanks something I needed to know like the guy above me gives me the damn Ford thing to read I'm like bro every letter cam is told it won't work with the explorer

geesh pretty sure he was just trying to help get you some info so you can make your own informed decision

I had a E303 cam in my stockish 96 and it worked just fine with factory stamped rockers and valve springs, no tune = real world

I get he was "trying" to help it's just I see the same copy and paste **** on this site and no one has done it, I build race motors and cars all the time I just sold my 530hp 550tq 2015 Ford focus on a built 2.3 I built out of junk yard stuff they said it can't be done I said it can there is a big difference in real world and computer world, just think we you go to a dealership and the "techs" as they call them have no idea of anything because the ASE CERTIFIED computer techs most have never been under a hood since they were kids the world teaches us to be lazy now I had a feeling it would work because I know fords like clock work just alot of the eec-v bs saying nothing will work had me a little stumped because most all fords are eec-v but I'm very forward open and blunt so I can be taken as a dick but really I'm not and thanks for the info

Bro first off your reading way to far into what I said and second if you build your own 347 by yourself and used the stock ECU and engine wire harness then you could of answered my question you posted me a camshaft chart that Ford produced back in 1996 to 1998 because people would swap these in there explorer and it would idle funny or weird and lopes and people would complain my question was to make sure the explorer would run and drive, obviously Im going to get it tuned but I'm not in the mood to waste time by installing this and come to find out I have to pull all this **** back apart to charge the cam back out, time is money to me and I hate working twice, here is good thing to live by when you work on any vehicle, " there's never enough time to do it right the first time but there's always enough time to go back and do it again" because now your doing it all over with for free and now wasting more time and money, like I said bro I may sound like an asshole but really I'm not I'm just straight out the gate and I do hurt peoples feelings but that's life we have enough but hurt people in the world we don't need anymore but no worries man I know uou were trying to help and I know there are alot of clueless people on this site who should not even open the hood of any vehicle but hey you get where I'm coming from

Back