1996 explorer xlt lower steering shaft u joint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer xlt lower steering shaft u joint

dom2017ford

Reaction score
City, State
binghamton, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, explorer xlt
I can't drive my 1996 explorer xlt because my lower steering shaft u joint is all messed up. That particular part is discontinued and my mechanic cannot locate one. Does anybody know where to find this u joint? It's been three weeks since I could drive her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Junkyard if you can get to one. Probably cost you less then $20

Does member Karl here still sell parts? I bought one from him years ago, and other things too, a fuel line the last time.

I can't drive my 1996 explorer xlt because my lower steering shaft u joint is all messed up. That particular part is discontinued and my mechanic cannot locate one. Does anybody know where to find this u joint? It's been three weeks since I could drive her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The Ford part is long discontinued. I've seen people on the forum buy an expensive U joint and shaft from flaming river, but that is for the 98+, not sure if it fits ours or not.

I also have a 96. Mine was messed up to the point where the wheels were locking up on return. I sprayed a can of Fluid film into the top and bottom of the joint, left it overnight, and within a day it steered like a new truck. Autozone or United Auto parts carry it. 7 bucks, worth a shot. I give it a blast every oil change.

I am going to put a new shock boot on it when I have some time.

You may have luck in GARYS U PULL IT - it is right around you. I think you need a 95-97. Problem is the trucks are old and likely the boots are torn and the shaft is messed up.

The 95-01's should work, the rack and steering column are the same throughout.

I appreciate all the responses! I've heard a lot about this joint and shaft having to come from a 95-97, but I've found a few of each from 98's and 99''s if they would work. I've visited Garys u-pull it with no such luck.

Back