1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 Transmission Stuck In Drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 Transmission Stuck In Drive

BubblerJoe

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer and the transmission is stuck in drive. The gear selector moves, but the transmission doesn't respond. It is drive no matter where you put the selector. Still drives fine, all gears shift out. Please help!! I have been thinking it is a linkage/cable issue. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a broken shift cable.

Thanks transman304, I got as far as taking the transmission pan off, and looking at all the cables, etc, and everything seems to be moving just fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Will it hold in park?

Yeah, it does hold in park. Reverse lights come on when you put it in reverse, but no matter what it stays in drive.

With the pan off can you see the manual valve move in the valve body? And when you drive it will shift how many times?

Thanks again for your help. I couldn't see the manual valve move. But when I drive it, it seems like it shifts out all 4 times. I could drive on the freeway with no problem. Actually still drives great.

I have no idea!! Let us know what you find. good luck.

and mine don't shift to reverse( what is brocken? no reverse like still on park or neutral

Cober, does yours drive still? Is yours stuck in drive also? I took my pan off, valve body off, and found just a small part of the gasket on the valve body was bad, other than that every thing looked good. I am not waiting to get the gasket back on, put it back together and see where it is after that. Has anyone ever heard of a solenoid that effects the forward clutch? I just seen something about a shift solenoid that may have something to do with the forward clutch. ??? I don't know. This has me re-thinking any and all of my knowledge of transmissions.

Transman304, does this sound like the forward clutch may be locked up to you?

Yes, but shifting thru gears has me stumped. Does it act like it wants to pull forward in reverse?

Yeah, even in reverse it still drives forward. I had thought about the forward clutch before, but usually they slip or don't want to change out. I really don't know, but this is getting to me.

your forward clutches are welded together. has to come out and be replaced or rebuilt.

Cober, does yours drive still? Is yours stuck in drive also? I took my pan off, valve body off, and found just a small part of the gasket on the valve body was bad, other than that every thing looked good. I am not waiting to get the gasket back on, put it back together and see where it is after that. Has anyone ever heard of a solenoid that effects the forward clutch? I just seen something about a shift solenoid that may have something to do with the forward clutch. ??? I don't know. This has me re-thinking any and all of my knowledge of transmissions.

Forvard is OK! Valve body disassembled, cleaned, gasket trown off! Get it all in place - still drives forward and no reverse! So now I wait for another transmission.

Thanks Transman304, going to get started on taking this beast out. I can get ahold of a reman. transmission for around $460. Which I think is an awesome price, but just hate to spend it if I didn't have to. I appreciate your input and help.

Where did you find a remanned one for $460? Do they have anymore? My 96 transmission went out a couple weeks ago and I am getting crazy numbers for one.

Back