1996 ford explorere sport horn not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 ford explorere sport horn not working

Teljkon

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
So my Ford Explorere sport is a real Tank. Looks like its been threw a war zone on the outside. I don't care the truck just has to run well and it dose.

So in october some Idiot who shouldn't have a license decided it would be a good idea to rear end me on the high way. Were at a dead stop and bang this Ass hat nails me. A back surgery and a 10K in medical bills later. His insurance Finally decides that they are going to total the truck. Ok fine I still want to keep my truck. They let me keep it but what they don't tell me is that I have to go and get a vehicle inspection on the salvaged title. Ok fine fix the bumper put a new light in there by pas the back latch keep the dome light off good deal all done. Go to register it move the title over into my name and schedule the state inspection. "It will be a full month before we have a free date" the girl tells me.

OK, now I am "legally" with out a car for a month. Now Of course MY FING HORN GOES 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE INSPECTION. You know what the dicks going to say "that is a safety equipment i cant pass you without it".

POINT IS: Ive checked the fuses they are all good. I have not pulled the battery yet to get to the horn. If my understanding is correct that is where it is. Now I have never taken a steering wheel off. So my first question is how do i not get an air bag in the face. the second big snafu is how do i trouble shoot this? If the horn isn't just rusted out or in need of replacement etc. I saw a youtube of a guy replacing a small spring loaded connector. In a ranger and it seems like it could be a similar problem. My thinking behind this is that the horn didn't just die I pushed it once it worked, twice and it didn't. Day goes by try it again it blows once second push nothing. Third day dead air? Any thoughts on what the culprit is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, looked under the battery to find the horn. No Bueno. IDK how the hell you get to this thing. I found the horn though its mounted very close the the front left wheel. I am curious if I cant just get to it by taking out the front left wheel cover.

Get this though i discounted the horn then just plugged it back in because i couldn't figure how to take it out and i need to go some place. When i got back in my car to start it it worked for one beep. Is the horn some how hooked into the vacuum system on this model engine?

This car has 175k on it and all the little vacuum tubes on this engine are shot. That would explain my lack of horn.

Most likely the ground wire. Notoriously bad connection. Same thing happened on my '99 Sport. Took me like 3 weeks to figure it out. Ran a new dedicated ground wire and haven't had a problem since.

could be out of adjustment as well .the horn should have a little star wheel or Philips kinda adjustment screw on the back .try turning it a little then try the horn again .
if it dont work just replace it .easy job:thumbsup:

there is no way I am going to be able to get to this thing to adjust anything. I don't know what whiz kid decided on the placement of this thing but its in a dumb ass spot. no way to get to it without a huge tear down. Ill try playing with the ground thanks for the tips even the star head thing could come in handy one day.

Back